iii. Custard Cream Company

three custard cream company

       THE THURSDAY BEFORE THE SATURDAY arrives and Mia finishes work at half-three, since she was supposed to leave at two, nice and early, but instead had to help out for another hour and a half. The boy Mia likes sat there the whole time, which she thinks was sweet, at he offered to walk her home. Mia conjured up an awful excuse about how her grandma doesn't like visitors, since she's living with her grandma at the moment, so instead they go into the park five minutes away from Grimmauld Place, where there's an ice cream van. Mia loves ice cream... She means, Aria loves ice cream. Merlin. She keeps on forgetting she's going by her middle name, out in the muggle world.

       The boy's called Alfie, and he's in the school year above her. Apparently he got some sort of bursary to attend a fancy private school because he's super smart, but his parents don't have that much money. Mia thinks he's sweet. He reads a lot and he's got the curliest brown hair, and he wants to be a vet, and like, help people. And their animals. Mia loves animals. Care of Magical Creatures is her favourite subject.

       ... But, here's the problem. Mia thinks he's really nice, that he's really sweet, that he's good-looking and all of that. But, honestly? Mia doesn't know how interested she actually is... Like, she knows she's going to have to break things off before school starts, it's not like it can go anywhere...

       It's weird, though. Mia feels weird without a boyfriend. To Mia, going out with someone isn't so much hand-holding, kissing, all that — to Mia, going out with someone is, this cute boy can take my mind off of things. There's no harm in that. All Mia's doing is spending her time and care into someone who deserves it, in opinion.

       She ends up getting back to Grimmauld Place around half-four, and Emilia greets Mia in the foyer, brows furrowed, arms crossed, worried sick. "Where were you?" asks Emilia. She steps forwards, opening her arms and pulling Mia into a hug. Mia feels bad for making her mum worry — honestly, Mia didn't even think that her being two hours' late would be any sort of worry.