Chapter 1

Thomas Pov. ♤

Mornings are never a pleasant time. 

I don't know what it is they just annoy me beyond reasoning. Maybe it is the fact that I'm not alive enough in the morning to make food, or the fact that I need to use all my mental willpower to get out of bed. 

They just suck.

Just as I am about to snap out of my thoughts about mornings, my alarm clock started to go off on my phone. Not even a second later I hear my father yelling at the nieghbors for leaving their fucking wind chimes up on their front patio all night.

My papa was in his 30s with bright blue eyes, and sandy blonde hair. He had no tan from the fact he rarely went outside (allergies) and was about 5'6. 

He and my dad adopted me at age 10 in their 20s after they heard about how low adoption rates were for kids 10 and over.

"That's my cue." I mutter and get dressed before heading downstairs to face the day.

" ........my umbrella to shield your satanic breeze bells.......No I will not give you any sugar you crazed she devil!!" I heard my papa scream in a "very manly" way. 

I was outside the kitchen when I asked "Whatcha yelling about pops?" like I was completely oblivious to the situation. I knew it would make him feel better if he thought I didn't know he was cursing out the elderly couple next door.

My dad was wildly waving a rolling pin at my neighbors, screaching out the window in his boxers and t-shirt, while throwing stir sticks at the fucking windchimes. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to enter the kitchen in the mornings. This happened everyday from seven till nine A.M. At least this daily occurrence was a good distraction from what was happening in our world. 

The Fae just let us know that they not just something out of a fairytale. Well they didn't let us know per say. It was more like they were forced to announce they were a thing by some hikers in Canada. And, let me tell you, the governments were not happy about it. 

They went on hold for roughly a month before they came up with the "perfect" solution to our problems. They announced that the Fae would work as slaves till further notice. 

Personally I believe this decision was made out of fear. Something about the Fae scare them. This "solution" was most likely just a means to slow them down.

Like every choice made out of fear, it came with a price. It caused about 150 million people, in the U.S. alone, to lose their jobs. This made the great depression look like a minor bump in the road. 10 million people starved to death, 20 million lost to winter and disease, these aren't even counting all the countries in Europe and Asia; they had the most casualties. 

However, a balance was made after a few months. People went into the slavery business. Since slaves were in such high demand by big companies, the pay was good. You just had to have good hunters.

Along with these new jobs came information about the Fae. It wasn't much since scientists weren't allowed to study them, but it was something. 

Few people will ever actually come in contact with the Fae. The only way to legally be able to see one on a daily basis, to undergo a special training program and then get a certification of being qualified. 

All we know is...

#1
They can shapeshift and whatnot, but we/the general public weren't exactly informed about what or how they do this. 

#2
We were also told that Iron burns them, so we should always wear some form of Iron for safety. I've never actually seen a Fae so to me this seemed like a bit of a hassle but whatever that's just me.