Chapter 37

Song: Rivers in your Mouth by Ben Howard

"And you showed me hope, and it's eloquence in Spring"

The reactions to the beheading were very mixed. Thane looked at the scene somewhat sadly, but mostly was impassive. The Blue Moon members looked horrified, disgusted, and bewildered, whereas the Blood Lake pack members extended their necks towards me in submission and respect. Gwen gave me a thumbs up.

Cain, however, looked at me in... desire?

I have never been more attracted to you than I am right now, he mindlinked me, and his words shocked me. I was under the impression that he didn't like my violent tendencies.

Don't be so surprised, mate. You don't know the things I've done when you aren't around, He warned me, and I remembered that he has quite the reputation for being a bloody Alpha.

"Everyone may leave. Thane, you may take Jennifer's body and send it back to your pack for proper burial." Cain commanded loudly, although his piercing dark eyes never left mine, sending a warming sensation throughout my body.

Soon, everybody cleared out and it was just Cain and I. Jennifer's blood cling to me like a second skin.

Cain stalked towards me slowly, making the tension rise. "You know why the Moon Goddess chose you to be my mate right?" Cain asked softly, and I didn't respond, knowing he wasn't looking for an answer. "You are the strongest she-wolf I've ever met. You will make the pack more powerful. The pack respects you, and they don't respect anyone else but me."

I didn't answer as Cain finally reached in front of me. Suddenly, he swooped me into his arms. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I exhaled loudly at the sudden movement.

"I always thought I would have wanted a submissive mate. Someone who would have respected me and instantly accepted me," Cain said, and it made my heart drop into my stomach. "Everything you are is so much better. The Moon Goddess knew what I needed more than I did, and I am forever thankful. Despite our rocky start, there is no other wolf I would rather have be my Luna," Cain finished, looking at me intensely. For some reason, his words made me tear up. I felt more accepted in Blood Lake than I did in Red Crescent. In Red Crescent, I felt like a tourist attraction, something for people to marvel at. At Blood Lake, I felt like they respected me as a person and as a warrior.

Cain used his wrist to wipe off some of Jen's blood from my mouth. He bent down to kiss me, and I responded eagerly, kissing him back with intense passion. The fight had my adrenaline boosted, and I knew that there was nothing stopping me from finishing the bonding with him right here and now.

Suddenly, Cain pulled away, making me growl at him.

"We have to go to the hospital," Cain said as a genuine smile overtook his face.

You look awfully happy about someone getting hurt, I remarked.

Cain's smile didn't falter, even though he rolled his eyes. "It's not a death. It's a birth."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I looked at the bald alien inquisitively. He really was a small little guy. Maybe a girl, it's too hard to tell with babies.

Rose, Carter's mate, held the pale dude as he looked around curiously. He didn't seem too fussy for a newborn, maybe they aren't so bad after all.

I spoke to soon.

As if the little devil spawn heard my thought, he began crying.

Rose looked exhausted, after all, she did just shove a whole human-ish thing out of her privates. Carter reached for the baby, who somewhat quieted down in his father's arms.