Chapter 95

Steve's POV:

I see Stars as I sit back up, my vision split and swerving all over the place. I blink and shake my head, trying to focus. My nose stings so much that it is overloading all my senses. I can feel and taste the hot, metallic blood that is already streaming down my face. Instinctively I wipe a hand across my lip and all I can see when I pull it away is the colour red smeared all over the back of it.

My ears ring, I can't hear anything at first but slowly I start to hear scrambling gravel. I cringe and force my vision to clear finally and I see a pair of combat boots before me, and then not too far off in the distance I can just see someone being shoved backwards towards a brick wall by their throat. Just off to the side is a gun laying on the ground too that Bucky must've dropped when he got ambushed.

Bucky!

All of a sudden everything snaps back into focus. I'm on my feet, the lady assassin who just hit me standing before me menacingly. Her strength and prowess is phenomenal, but it's not a match for mine.

She advances on me again, her fist raised but I just duck and swing kick her out from under her feet sending her toppling to the ground this time.

"Buck!" I shout as I sprint towards the man who now has him pushed up against the wall. "Get off of him!"

I can see from the terror in his eyes, the way his feet swing helplessly and his hands claw at his throat that he is seriously struggling to breath. He hasn't noticed me coming to help yet because he's too preoccupied.

Just then I hear fast footsteps from behind me and turn to see the girl running for me again. We embrace in a hand-to-shield grapple but I manage to get her arms locked in mine with our backs pressed against each other in a way that allows me to use her as a vaulting board, kicking my legs up before landing and using the momentum to fling her up and over my head, throwing her against the wall with so much force that it knocks her out instantly.

Immediately I turn my attention to Bucky. He's going blue in the face. I charge towards them but have to stop. The assassin is saying something to him in a different language. It must be Russian. I have no idea what any of it means though; whether it is a sentence, a list, instructions. I have no idea.

"*... benign, homecoming, one, freight car.*"

The man stops talking to him then and loosens his grip on Bucky's throat who now looks like he's about to pass out, going limp and just hanging there, his eyes glazed over. Breathing heavily himself from the force needed to hold Bucky down, the assassin turns around to look at me, a cunning look in his eyes. He's familiar to me, I know I've encountered him before with something to do with Hydra.

"What did- what did you do to him." I huff, staggering around as my head is still spinning.

The man drops Bucky like a rag doll who lands on his hands and knees. Shaking and gasping desperately for breath. His hair hangs over his face so that I cannot see what he looks like.

"Doesn't matter." The man shrugs in a gruff voice. "He's your problem to deal with now."

It takes me a second to wrap my head around what he said. Frowning at him, I stand there staunchly as he strides past me, his eyes never leaving mine. Until he gets to the slumped figure of the girl and his head snaps in her direction. Before I know it he whips out a gun from his pocket and points it at her head.

"Useless peace of shit." He spits and shoots her right between the eyes, the severity of it causing me to jump.

With that he starts to walk of as if I'm not even there.