Chapter 38

The next week went by normally. Thane and his entourage left a few days after I decapitated whatshername, after working out some of the battle strategies. He planned on declaring war in a month. I hadn't talked about it with Cain, but I assumed he would let me fight since I was far more skilled than most of his men.

Cain and I had been getting along relatively well all week, despite the usual quarrels that usually started with him telling me no, me throwing knives at him because he told me no, him pinning me down because I threw knives at him, and then us making out. We had almost mated more times than I could count, and I could tell his wolf was extremely on edge, needing the release. My wolf wasn't much better, often wanting me to jump him anytime he walked into the room. The only thing stopping us was me saying no anytime he wanted to take it further. To his credit, he didn't push it once I said no.

I didn't plan on saying no anymore after the ceremony.

Cain shook me awake, making me groan. Go away, I whined, putting the pillow over my head.

"I have stuff I have to do today in preparation for the ceremony, pup. I want to give you something before I leave," Cain's voice was happy.

I groaned again, but resurfaced from underneath the pillow. This better be good, I warned him.

Cain produced a large gift bag from behind him. I raised my eyebrows. What's this for?

"It's traditional for the Blood Alpha to give his mate a present the day of the ceremony," Cain ruffled my messy hair. I playfully bit at his hand, making him tweak my nose.

I took the bag and ripped out the tissue paper that lined the top. When I peered in the bag, I was surprised to see fur.

Another pelt? I asked, confused. Although I appreciated the one he already gave me, I didn't see a reason for another.

Cain rolled his eyes. "Will you please just open it all the way, mate?" His hand stroked my half-ear gently. For some reason, he loved to run his finger over the jagged cartilage.

I pulled the thin black fur out of the bag and unfolded it to take a better look. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the fur was in the format of a cloak. It even had a hood, and a small clip where it would fall around my chest so I could connect the two sides.

You made me a fur cloak? I asked, surprised.

Cain looked into my eyes lovingly. "You always wear your old cloak, which is far too thin for how cold my territory gets. I know that the pelt makes you warm, but I also know you prefer the freedom the cloak allows you. I thought you would like a more versatile version of the pelt."

My heart swelled. I knew that his gift was not only symbolic of his promise to take care of me, but also of his promise to allow me more freedom and personal liberties.

He froze as I threw my arms around him in a hug. Typically, I only wrapped my arms around him to choke him out.

He returned the hug, nuzzling his face into my neck. "Can I assume you like it then, little mate?"

I love it. Thank you, Cain. I kissed his cheek and he stiffened.

"You said my name. Not Alpha," Cain choked out. I hesitated, realizing that I had been calling him Cain in my head for the past few weeks as I slowly warmed up to him.

We continued to hold each other in silence until Cain pulled away. "As much as I wish I could spend all day holding you, I need to go finish working out some of the details for tonight."

Can I walk around your territory for awhile? I'll bring Carter with me. I bargained, knowing he would say yes. I had taken quite a few walks with Carter accompanying me the last few days.