Chapter Five

Tuesday, August 13th, 2019

Sheila

    I woke up with steam being puffed into my face. I prayed my eyes opened to see my beautiful white dragon leaning over me. His blue eyes peering deep into mine. "Time to eat breakfast and leave if we want to be there on time." He rested his large head on the entirety of my lower body.

    "How do you expect me to get up if you are laying on me!" I say with a sprinkle of an exaggeration, patting him on his nose.

    He blew out a puff of smoke, he groans, lifting his head from me. "You need to eat, so it's a painstaking sacrifice I have to make." He lifted his head, though he kept his head close to the ground as he sulked. I jumped out of bed. The fastest I've ever gotten on of bed in my life. I was excited for this day to come. Truly, having a mate changed your life.

    "Tell me a story over breakfast!" I said pulling out my chair, dipping into it.

    He was back in his human form. "A story? What type would you like to hear?" He said, his back turned to me.

    "Wait, before you start. Do you prefer to be in dragon form or human?" Personally, the human form was easier to manage, for it was the form I was born into.

    I saw his shoulders shrug, "depends on who I'm around. If it's around people I don't trust, I would never show my human form to them. It's a sign of moral weakness." Does that mean he trust me? Well, of course, he did, I was his mate. Was there a possibility that someone can fall out of love with their mate? My heart clenched at the thought.

    "Mortal weakness?" I questioned, I looked at his muscles, his facial structures. Shortly after I saw his jaw clench.

    "Please—" there was a pause, I looked down to his hands, he was clenching and unclenching. "Don't look at me that way. It's, it is, taunting." He finally made out. I couldn't help my face flush red.

    "Oh," My mouth was open like a gasping fish. I found the wall quite interesting after that point. "Sorry," I mumble out. I knew that he didn't want me to apologize, that wasn't his intention, I was just so used to it. Used to it being my fault.

    "Hey, I'm sorry for raising my voice." If that was raising his voice, he is a saint. He said it in the most mature, natural way, I've ever experienced, through a book and all! "I'm just a newly mated male, I'm just finding it a bit difficult, but not an impossible to cope with."

    "Oh! I understand really! No need to apologize!" I waved my hands frantically as if I was trying to swat away his apology. He sat the toast and eggs in front of me.

    There was a lopsided grin on his face, one that probably represented that he felt bad still, but happy I wasn't mad at him. "So, we are ready to leave after breakfast, yes?"

    I nodded my head. "Yes! I can't wait to meet this friend of yours!" First-person outside of my mate to meet on this adventure! I was so excited!

    Breakfast finished up, I helped wash the dishes and make the bed because he did make breakfast for me. I couldn't sit around and do nothing while he was hosting me. Well, I don't know if hosting is the right term for our situation.

    He was back in his dragon form once more at the mouth of the cave. I slipped my backpack that was placed my the leg of the bed onto my shoulders before walking over to Vince. I watched as he stared out over the never-ending forest of trees. He looked so calm and peaceful, clearly at peace with his life.

    Once he felt me looking he flicked his eyes in my direction. "Are you ready, my love?"

    I nodded my head. He dipped a wing down, and I stared at it confused. "What?" I asked almost in a daze.

    "It will be faster if we go by air. Is that alright?" He turned his massive body so that he could face me dead on. I clearly had a choice here, and I relished in it.

    "I don't know if I'm scared of heights. I've never left the ground before." I went on, curiously looking at his back, and massive wings.

    "There has to be a first for everything." He allowed a toothy grin to form. His teeth were so sharp, dangerously deadly even, but I wasn't scared.

     "Where do I even grab on to?" I looked at his beautiful spiral horns, they would be too far to hold on too. No, you know what, no they are definitely grab-able.

    "You seemed to answer your own question, come, hop on." He lowers his wing once more and a crawl on. I wrapped my hands in the horns.

    "You are in good hands. Do not be scared, Sheila." I tightened my legs around his neck, almost too big for me to fit.

    Then he lifted up into the air.

    I yelped in fear, ducking my head into his scales, trying to block the wind from my face. Once we evened out, "look, Sheila, you are missing it."

    Missing is one of the things I don't want to do. Not anymore. I lifted my head to see the beautiful sun, a clear bluebird overhead. I fell in love with the feeling of flight. I opened my arms, it felt almost like I was the one flying. Though I quickly regretted my decision when I almost flew off him. I grasped his horns, holding onto them for dear life.

    I heard him chuckle, "almost became one with the birds, is that right Shiela." 

    "Sush Vince, I don't want to think back to it." I cheeks burned with embarrassment.

    "Just a little longer and we will be there." I rested the side of my face on his scales, my cheek making a pool of fat below my face. I was so content with life.

    Little did I know this would be the calm before the storm.

—-

WOOP day five! Almost a week!! Happy Tuesday!! (Even though it already feels like Friday. Is that just me?)

What's this calm before the storm?

Any guesses?

Comment and Vote Pweaseeee