Chapter 34

Venessa's P.O.V

A heavy arm draped on my waist woke me up, making me turn around, knowing all too well that it's Vincent.

I caressed his face, feeling lucky that he's my husband, but as I recall our conversation yesterday, I can't help but feel a pang in my chest.

But it's not my fault, I was just trying not to get hurt. I said to myself, absently caressing his cheekbone, that I didn't even notice that I woke him up.

"Good morning, my love" he spoke, his voice raspy as he just woke up, making me jump.

I looked up to his grey eyes that were looking down at me intently, making my cheeks heat.

"G..Good morning" I replied, stammering. "I'm really sorry about yesterday" I added, looking down extremely embarrassed and guilty.

"Don't be sorry, my love" he said lifting my chin up to meet his grey eyes and I can't help but get hypnotized by them.

Shall I tell him about what I was thinking last night? But what if he rejects it and laughs at my face?.

You'll get nowhere, my love with what-ifs, says inner Venessa, boosting my confidence a little.

"I want to tell you something, Vincent," I stated, looking down, not wanting to see his expression when I say what I'm going to say while he hummed in response.

"I want to give this marriage a chance, Vincent" I blurted out, immediately wanting to disappear.

His hold on my waist tightened and closed his eyes. I looked up at him questioning, wondering what's going on inside his head. Minutes went by and his eyes were still closed.

What the... is he sleeping? What type of guy goes back to sleep after someone just told them that they're willing to give him a chance?

"Vincent?" I called out while shaking him a little. His eyes shot open and stared at me as if I'm sort of alien. He suddenly shot up sitting, hitting me in my head in the process.

"Ouchh '' I exclaimed as I rubbing my head. "I'm so sorry, my love" he quickly apologized while talking my hand in his.

"Are you alright?" I asked, really concerned.

He's behaving really strangely. Maybe I shouldn't have said it.

"You don't know how happy you just made me right now." He said cupping my face, beaming, I can't help but smile at him. "Really?" I asked, but he caught me out of guard by claiming my lips.

*****

After our moment back in the room, I still can't believe that the Italian mafia leader Vincent De Costello can be sweeter anymore. We descended the stairs together, holding hands. The smile on Vincent's face didn't flatter down even just a second. I didn't know that he could smile. That guy barely smiled.

Maybe finally, I will be happy. Maybe for the first time in a very long time, someone will be there for me to wipe my tears away and pull me closer to their chest and make me forget things. Maybe I'll finally have someone to call my home. Maybe.

But I guess they're right, nothing ever lasts forever and so when I thought I would be happy finally, I totally forgot that life is like a war comprising many battles, battles that will test you repeatedly until you're left barely with a hanging heart. But the question is, will I be able to get through all the battles without crumbling down?

I want to thank you guys for showing support, especially to those who are so patient with me.

______
Stay tune for the next chapter....

Until then...