First Day (3)

Aki wore a beige shirt with metallic brown lining running on both of his shoulders down to the hems of the fabric. He put his waist apron over his black pants. Among the set of uniform Mia gave him, a small cloth remained in his hand. He was unsure what it was even as he turned it over, trying his best to figure out where to put it. After a few minutes of guessing its use, he gave up and went out. Mia was waiting for him outside the locker room.

"You look really good in that uniform!" She grinned. "You'll be popular with the customers."

Aki blushed. "But I'm not sure how to put this--uhm, tie?" He held out the cloth.

"Cuuute! Do you blush easily?" Mia giggled and took the fabric from Aki's hands. "Ooh, that's easy. See here, there are two small holes near the middle right? You have to fold it and let those holes overlap. Then stick this to the top button of your shirt so it looks like a tie but without all the complicated knots. Here let me show you."

Mia stepped forward, arms poised to fix Aki's tie when the backdoor opened. The two of them paused and watched as the door revealed the newcomer.

Liam stopped in his tracks, letting the door closed behind him with a bang, as he stared at the two bodies sticking close together in front of him. He still wore the black plain shirt, blue jeans, and gray trainers he had this morning which meant he came here after his class. Liam's handsome face turned grim which puzzled Aki.

Aki opened his mouth but Liam beat him to it.

"What--" Liam started and stopped himself. He opened his mouth to try again but words seemed to fail him so he closed it again.

Aki thought that Liam's glare was directed at him. But as the other sauntered towards them, Aki realized that Liam was glaring at Mia. On the other hand, Mia seemed unperturbed. She looked like she was actually enjoying this by the way her eyes glinted with amusement.

She rolled her eyes and exhaled in exasperation. "Geez. I'm just helping him with his tie. Here," she held out the cloth towards Liam, "pin it yourself. While you're at it, orient him to the ways of the cafe, introduce him to the other staff." She turned to the gaping Aki and smiled. "Don't be nervous, you'll be fine. I won't work you to the bones. Besides, you'll only spend your first week working on one duty and area at a time." She did not wait for Aki to answer and turned to Liam. "You mister, shouldn't go easy on him just because..." She let the words hang in the air as she cocked her eyebrow at Liam.

It seemed like Aki had seen more than heard the silent conversation that passed through between Mia and Liam. But before he could catch what that meant, Mia left them. So Aki could only blink rapidly as he watched Mia disappear in the kitchen.