Chapter 40

Clouds carpeted the sky the next morning and the leaves twisted ominously in the wind. It smelled like a storm, coming to slice through the growing humidity. The townsfolk didn't seem to mind, but the weather was certainly not improving my mood. Not when I'd fallen asleep with Beatriz in my arms and woken stretched out on her bed, with her nestled against my chest.

Frederico had been quieter than usual through breakfast, which I'd spent stealing looks at Beatriz as she stole looks at me, a tiny smile playing on her lips. Genevieve had woken chipper as well, and suggested that she, Rafael, and the Carvalho children go out to explore the town later that morning.

And all the while, the storm brewed outside.

Frederico had assigned five of his men to escort me to the same inn where we'd found the Carvalho children. It would take the better part of a day to reach it, with a smaller group and a downhill journey. I was disappointed that not even Rafael had been assigned to escort me, but I could understand why he'd want to stay close to his younger siblings, given what they'd all been through the last time they'd been separated.

Still, I was forced to remind myself that there was nothing to worry about when a chill prickled along my skin as I pulled on my riding gloves. It was only the turning weather unsettling me, when I'd grown so used to endless sun and pounding heat. I was coming back, no matter what instructions father's letter bore or what his men said.

"I think you have a visitor," I said over my shoulder to Beatriz, as I stared down into the courtyard. She'd taken a seat on my bed as I'd gathered my riding gear and pulled on my cloak.

Downstairs, Nisha's hair and cloak whipped in the wind as she paced in the courtyard.

"Nisha? She can wait. Let her grovel for a bit." Beatriz said, as she joined me at the window. She wound her hands around my waist and rested her head on my shoulder.

I patted her hands, careful to avoid her bandaged arm. "The longer you hold me here, the longer it'll be until I return."

"I know." She left unsaid what I hoped was an echo of my own sentiments – that I'd gladly trade anything to spend another night curled around her. To wake, burrowed in the tangled mess of her hair, and share a soft, secret smile with her when her eyes fluttered open.

A knock sounded against the open door and we sprang apart to the sound of Genevieve's giggle. "The guards are ready, Tommy dearest. You'd best get a move on so you're not caught in the pass when the rain begins."

"I'll be right down," I said.

Genevieve lifted a knowing eyebrow, but disappeared nonetheless. Wicked thing that she was, she slid the door closed behind her.

I turned to Beatriz, reluctant to leave her. "A kiss for luck, darling?"

She took my face in her hands and kissed me, hard, pulling away too soon. She rested her forehead against mine. "Promise me–"

"I'm coming back," I said, resting my hands atop hers.

Her forehead pressed against mine as she nodded once, then released me. "Then ride safely, but hurry back."

It was agony to leave her there, to press a final kiss to her hand as I memorized her face. But it wasn't goodbye, I reminded myself. It was one night, in an inn that was a mere day's ride away. I silently chided my lovesick self as I descended the stairs. Andrew would have chortled with glee to see me this way. Thankfully, he was half a continent away.

Outside, Nisha stopped her pacing when I emerged to join the five guards who had already mounted up.

"She's waiting for you upstairs," I said, with a nod hello as I crossed to my horse.