Chapter 33

"Do you know what you want to do, Axel?" Detective Rhines asks, breaking our moment. His voice shatters the repetitive mantra that slips through my head repeatedly. You can do this. Axel's going to be with you the whole way. The sentiment relaxes me some, but then I have to realize just how deep this could all go.

"I'm not risking a court case with these assholes. I don't care what you have to say, you can get the low hanging fruit, but the top dogs? Their asses are mine." He growls and I look up at him, resting my head on his chest, letting him handle it. I wouldn't know where to begin; there's a reason I'm a doctor and not a detective. A weak smile finds its way to my lips, amused with the poor attempt at humor. It's just a means for distraction.

"Axel, we can't knowingly allow that." He shrugs.

"Alright, then piss the fuck off. Plan's off." He goes to hang up and Rhines cuts him off, jumping back into the conversation to play the mediator.

"All of you, calm the fuck down." He growls, silencing the Agents and Axel in one fell swoop. "We can work through this, build a plan. How likely is it they'd, any of them, go quietly? We are looking at a blood-bath, it's just bound to happen." I wince hearing that; a painful sensation settles in my belly. I expected that, not that it makes it any better to hear. I know this is going to be a painful nightmare; I've met them. There isn't anything else I could expect. As sad as it is to admit, I know this is going to hurt.

Not like there was ever a point, I doubted that. I'm not sure what to expect of this investigation; this is all new territory, maybe for all of us. "It's not likely, they aren't the type to sit and take shit." Axel grunts out as he tightens his hold on my leg carefully, his thumb rubs soothing circles mindlessly. The simple action makes me look at him as he kisses my forehead. If we weren't planning this, I'd blush at how sweet that was.

"See, that works in everyone's favor. They're taken out, we can try to apprehend them, but it's unlikely that'll actually happen. Were you betting on that in the first place?" Detective Rhines asks, directing the question towards the Agents in the call.

"I was hoping for that, the more we can take out the better." Agent Ross answers curtly, Detective Rhines snorts unamused by his answer.

"You just want to fry big fish and earn your bigger office." Agent Thompson chuckles softly, clearing his throat to distract everyone from his slip up.

"I want to do what's right, murdering people isn't right." The man tries to guilt me into seeing things his way. It almost works. For a moment I pause, starting a debate with myself. It isn't right to murder; I'd be stooping to their level. Axel's words drift into my mind. 'Why should you play clean if they are playing dirty?' His logic makes sense, it's the truth. They'll never fight by the rules; why should I?

"Fuck that, I don't want to hear your moral high ground bullshit. I'm done letting the system protect her. It's done jack shit." Axel supplies with an annoyed snort, not bothering to listen to their persuasion another minute. At least one of us is strong enough to draw a line. I hear a deep sigh, making me turn back towards the phone, interested in the next words spoken.

"Axel, that wasn't us, that was someone else." I glanced back at Axel, curious about his response. I watch as he rolls his eyes, forcing his free hand through his hair angrily.

"Rhines, fuck off with that shit. We both know the town was being funded by corrupt MC's; it was dirty as fuck back in the day. You expect me to build our reputation without you building yours? The only shit I've seen is that you fuckers aren't bending over to those pricks on the daily." I'm slightly stunned with what he said. Have they always been dirty? Is that why no one helped me all those years ago? Another thought dawns and I fight to breathe. Did they give them my name? My family's information? The deep seated betrayal that settled into my core makes me bite my lip, fighting fresh tears.