Chapter 35

"I don't know about this. I think Axel needs to know." I once again urge to no avail, getting shut down with their logic. Does it make sense? He's just going to freak out.

"Miss Smith, it has to happen this way. If Axel knows, he's going to blow the plan. Then we can't protect him, that's what you want, right?" Agent Ross comments and I wince. I want him to be protected. But I know I need to tell him.

"But I don't want to lie to him, it's not-" I'm cut off by a heavy sigh as Bear grunts softly.

"Angel, darling, I get you don't want to be lying to him. I'll back you up when things are hitting the fan, I'm not going to let him think the worst or do something equally stupid. He needs you just as much as you need him." Bear comments and I sink in my chair.

"It feels wrong." I answer with a sigh, I hate lying, I don't want to break his trust. No one is listening to me. Am I wrong?

"I know it does, but we have to play this logically. I know you are scared, I don't like putting you in danger anymore than you want to be doing this." I sigh and rub my face.

"But is this the best way to go about this? I don't know if it is! What is Axel planning? Is what he has in mind going to be safer?" I ask as I grow frustrated with everything that's piling up in front of me. What if it would just be better to listen to Axel?

"Miss Smith. Axel doesn't have a plan. The only thing he has ahead of him is a long jail sentence if he does anything to try to get back at them." Agent Ross speaks calmly, the tension in his voice makes me wince. I don't want to be responsible for him going to jail.

"What do I have to do?" I feel broken and tired as I ask, sighing heavily as I rest my elbows on the desk and stare at the phone somberly.

"Did you receive your mail yet?" My eyes trail over to the stack of mail, a few bills, letters from lawyer and insurance; the rest is just a few junk mail papers.

"Yeah, it's sitting with me." I respond, confused as I glance back at the phone.

"Good, I want you to find a pamphlet from an insurance company, it's going to be grey, yellow, and brown, taped shut. Grab that and open it up for me." Agent Thompson interjects taking over the call strong and smoothly. Confused, I reach for the stack of mail and flip through them before I find the one he was talking about.

"Reginald's Cover?" I am confused by the name. It's an interesting name. My eyes scan the desk before opening my drawer to find my letter opener.

"That's the one, I need you to open it up for me." I stare at the phone for a moment, hesitating for a few seconds before I sigh and follow orders. I slice the tape, careful to not rip the laminated pamphlet up. I have a feeling I'm not going to like this. Opening the paper, I'm met with a car and blank pages.

"What am I looking at?"

"Remove the card carefully, under the card, in a small, thin case is what you need to find, it'll be surrounded by the adhesive." This only makes me pause longer as I debate what is going on. What on earth is this? I sigh and shake my head slowly, pulling the card off. I'm met with a small clear plastic container with a small black pill along with a container for contact lenses.

"I don't - what am I looking at?" A black pill and contacts. I don't know what either of those could mean or be in relation to. No medicine I know comes in a black pill, not this tiny.

"That's your gear." My gear!?

"I don't need contacts. And I don't make a habit of taking unmarked pills." I comment, lost with what I'm looking at. Bear chuckles, a deep gruff sound that makes me confused. This is funny! You gave me drugs and freaking lenses! I'm not some spy that can pull something out of my ass!