Orientation

No one spoke after she left. After a while, Liam stepped closer to fix Aki's tie.

"I'll do it! Mia already showed me how." Aki attempted to catch the tie but Liam moved it away and continued fixing it on his top button. The other guy brushed a finger on Aki's throat and in reflex, Aki gulped. There was no meaning to it but Aki still flushed.

When Liam was done, he took a step back and Aki exhaled as quiet as he could, willing his heart to calm down. Even after Mia left after saying her vague order, the heavy atmosphere around them persisted. Aki needed to do something to dispel it.

"I was looking for a part-time job and Mia offered--"

Liam smiled and pinched the bridge of Aki's nose. "You don't have to explain. And I told you, don't apologize to me. Though I was surprised. I never-- I thought I was dreaming when I saw you here wearing our uniform." He gave Aki an appraising look to which Aki seemed to pass as Liam let out a satisfied smile. Surely, Liam only checked out if Aki could pass as their staff. "That Mia though," Liam said with a click of his tongue and turned to the locker room.

As Liam changed to his uniform, Aki waited outside. When he came back, he ditched the black shirt for their beige uniform. It looked ten times cooler to him than Aki could have ever been.

No matter how many times Aki saw Liam wearing his uniform, he would never get tired looking at him. He was just freaking cool. Liam had the ideal face with his sharp features Aki always admired, making him look cool and manly without even trying and that gentleman-like smile, giving off a noble charm. Liam was... well, he was always nice to look at.

With a jolt, Aki realized that he was staring and Liam was staring back at him too. Aki coughed and swiftly shifted his gaze. So much for calming himself down while Liam changed.

"Anyway, we can't linger here long or Mia will roast us. Let's get started with your work?" Liam said.

Before he had a chance to speak, Aki was pushed onto the cafe. Liam introduced him to the other staff as he told Aki about his duties and responsibilities. The only regular employees of Lava Java were, of course, Mia, Jay the chef, and Alex as the cashier-slash-barista. Liam also mentioned that other than the two of them, there were other two part-timers in the cafe. There were Chris and Tin. But the latter was on leave.

Aki listened attentively as Liam told him about their menu, of what he should and should not do. He itched to take notes of everything Liam said to study at home.

Liam chuckled when Aki pulled out his small notebook. "So serious. Though you can just ask me or Mia or anyone, really, when you're confused."

"But I can't always bother you. Besides, it's not like we always work the same shift..." Aki mumbled the last sentence.

Liam hummed as he tapped his finger on the counter absentmindedly. He muttered, "Should I ask Mia to change my shifts?"

Aki did not quite catch what the other said. But instead of answering, Liam only shook his head and went back on lecturing about the cafe.

"If someone tried to get your number, just say it's against house rules. If you detect that the customer is flirting, excuse yourself and call me or other staff to handle them," Liam said as they finished the orientation. He looked out at the entire place as if eyeing any potential threat.

Aki laughed. "I don't think anyone would ever want my number though." 'I'm not as good-looking as you,' he thought as he cast a furtive glance on Liam's direction.

"You'll never know," Liam stared at him and shrugged.

Liam looked like a worried parent, sending his kids on their first day of school. Aki was touched. He poked Liam's arm and whispered, "I'll be okay. It's not very busy at this time of the day, is it?"

"No. Maybe that's why Mia told you to come at this time."

It was after lunch so the influx of customers had died down a bit. His shift would end before the next flood came in.

Liam was about to reply when they heard a loud cough beside them. They turned to look at the same time and found Mia, holding out a tray.

"One strawberry shortcake and two crepes for table number five," she thrust the tray to Liam and turned to Aki. "You'll be with Alex for today."

Aki nodded and made a beeline behind the counter.