Ride or Die

My mind was still processing all the rules. Mr. Hollington surely is a strange man. Something must have happened in his past for him to be like this. Who would need so many rules? Why do I have to call him “Sir” for now on? This man is so weird, but so very good looking.

We had been over his rules a couple of times. He made me repeat them back to him twice, just to make sure that I got it.

“Ms. Flowers, I need you to go pick up a package for me at this address. It will be in the front lobby at the desk. You will sign my name on the clipboard, then leave with the package.” Hasn’t this dude ever heard of UPS? “Do not open the box, or it will cost you your job. Do not speak to anyone or it will cost your job. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.” He handed me a piece of paper with an address on it. Like it would do me any good. I don’t know how to get around New York.

“Here is your company card. You can use it for your cab fare for now on. So you better not be late anymore. You can also use it for your meals when you get your lunch break. It is also for any emergency that may come up. Just be smart with it Ms. Flowers.” I nodded my head to let him know that I understood what he was saying. He handed me a shiny gold credit card. I grabbed my notebook and pen and the piece of paper and began to leave. “Oh and Ms. Flowers. Be careful.”

“Yes sir.” I left before he could say anything else. Donna and Cassie were sitting at their desks on the phone, like I figured they would be.

“Hey Boo Thang, why did you leave without saying anything?” Donna looked at me with a pouty face, as if I had hurt his feelings.

“I’ll explain later. Right now I am on a mission.” I sped walk my way out of the building and made my way to the edge of the road to hail a cab. A cab is my best bet to get to this address, since I don’t know where it is myself. I held my hand in the air, and no luck. Every yellow cab passed by me. It is like I don’t even exist. I tried whistling like I’ve seen in the movies, but no luck. I know people were looking at me like I’m extremely weird, but all I want to do is hail a cab. Is that so hard to ask?

A beautiful young lady stepped to the side of the curb, talking on her phone not paying the world a bit of attention. She barely even lifted a finger and I could hear a car coming to a complete stop. Low and behold a damn cab had stopped to give her a ride. Here I am standing doing everything, but flashing the traffic and I can’t even get one person to stop.

“License and registration mam.” A familiar voice came from behind me. I turned around to see the police officer who had pulled me over. He looked so handsome in his uniform. If he hadn’t had pulled me over before, I would have thought that he was a movie star walking around in his costume.

“Oh hey…Officer…” I looked for his name tag to confirm his last name. “Officer White.” What are the odds of me running into the one police officer who had pulled me over?

“I’m off duty now, so you can call me Keith.” Keith White?

“How is that you remember who I am? You must meet a hundred different people a day?”

“I never forget such a beautiful face.” I could feel the blush creeping into my cheeks.

“Surely you say that to many women, Keith.” What is this man’s deal? Is he flirting with me?

“And well of course you venting to me your entire life story helped.” He had a huge grin on his face. Oh lord, I must have made his day blowing up like that. He probably went back and told all of his coworkers.

“I am so sorry about that. I was just having a bad day.”

“I know, and you don’t have to apologize. We all have our days. Have yours gotten any better from when we met?” He looked like he was sincere about the question.

“Umm, a lot better, I guess. I made a few friends who are letting me crash at their apartment.” I couldn’t help but to smile at the thought of how kind Donna and Cassie are.

“That isn’t very smart darling. You moved in with complete strangers?” Darling? Here comes that blush again.

“Well you don’t know them like I do. If you meet them you will understand why I trust them so much. They are very kind.”

“That may well be, but as a police officer I have to think about every scenario that could possibly happen. What if they are serial killers?” His eyebrows raised, questioning me.

“Then I’m dead, but that would be far better than the life I have now.” The depression began to creep back in.

“Don’t you ever say anything like that again. You are very beautiful woman. You have your entire life ahead of you.” Depression went away so quick, and was replaced by anger.

“Who are you to tell me what to do? You may be the ‘law,’ but like you said I am a woman and I can say what ever the hell I want to!” Astonishment replaced the anger very quick, then comes the embarrassment. Oh no, I cant believe I just said that, and to a police officer none the less. What makes it even worse is that he looks like I may have hurt him. I turned on my heel and walked away quickly, hoping that I am going in the right direction to pick up that package.

“Wait!” I could hear his foot steps pounding on the cement as he ran toward me. I didn’t want to stop, but I knew I owed it to him for being so rude. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to overstep my boundaries.” His chest heaved slightly from him running toward me. “It looked like you was trying to catch a cab earlier. My cruiser is parked right over there. At least let me give you a ride to where you need to go.” He was pleading with me, and he even pulled the puppy eyes out. Oh he is good.

“I just need to go to his address to pick up a package for my boss.” I handed the piece of paper over to him and he looked at it slightly surprised. “That is several blocks away. I can get you there quickly and back with no problem, if you just let me give you a ride.” How can I say no to a pleading face like that? It is either look like a fool and try to hail a cab again, or take a quick ride with Keith and be back in no time.

“Alright, but only if you wont get in trouble.”

“I wont. I promise.” I followed him to his police cruiser. What he did next shocked me. He opened the passenger door for me and helped me in. No one has ever done that for me before. Honestly, I have only seen it in the movies. He jogged around the front end of the car and got in. “Are you ready for the ride of your life?” The look of pure joy filled his eyes. He seemed to be so happy. Oh lord, what have I gotten myself into?

***Author’s Note***

I absolutely love Keith. Let me know what you think of him.

HUGS AND KISSES

TO MY MISTERS AND MISSES