Chapter One

It was evening, and all of the newly hired maids were in the head butler's office, a small and immaculate room with many books and writing utensils, walls a faded ivory color, the furniture dark brown with brass handles and keyholes, and the wooden flooring slightly creaking under the weight of so many people. Of course, there was also the fact that this was the Beardsley manor, and the oldest noble house in this town.

"There are a lot of rules to keep in mind while you are in the House of Beardsley," the butler, Mister Kupka, said, his eyes trailing on each of our faces sternly, "but first and foremost you must respect the masters' wishes for privacy. If they order you to not clean a room, or do not wish to leave a room for dinner, that's how it shall be."

He looked at the first maid, Rhiannon, who stood the furthest from me. She was tall and blonde, with sharp cheekbones and pale blue eyes that seemed to be like clear lake-water. She wore a long maid dress with an apron wrapped around her and her hair pulled back in a long braid that cascaded down her back, just as straight and tall, looking ready for whatever would come.

I didn't expect to be working with such a beautiful person, not to mention she looked regal, like she belonged in the house of Beardsley as the fiancée of one of the lords or even the daughter, not a maid.

"This comes before any of the rules I give you. Now, for the rules themselves..." Mister Kupka said, eyes now on the second maid, Clo, a beautiful girl with skin just like bronze, both in color and luster, and seductive red lips in a knowing smile.

Her maid outfit had the first two buttons unbuttoned, revealing her bosom, her apron beginning below the bodice. She breathed in her cigarette as Mister Kupka talked. He frowned, creases forming between his bushy white eyebrows.

"Put out that cigarette immediately, Miss Clotilde."

"My name is Clo Hutchinson," she said, putting out her cigarette on the glass ashtray on the desk. "Simply Clo."

She didn't hesitate while talking back at all, and I didn't know whether I should internally applaud her for it or gawk in horror.

"I'll keep that in mind." He sighed and then looked at me, who stood next to her.

I was the only one here of Eastern descent, with my straight black hair, so long and heavy that I had to braid them into two pigtails and pin them behind my head for them to stay in place. It looked funny with what I was wearing: a starched black dress reaching my calves with a white apron over it. Apparently it was what the maids wore and I got it from the nuns from the orphanage as a farewell present. To my surprise, though, all the other girls had different ones.

"Anyway, these rules are equally important and must be followed..."

Clo suddenly turned to me and smiled. "Hey," she whispered, "what's your name?"

I turned to her and then back to Mister Kupka. He was still talking, but I didn't want to ignore her, especially someone who I would be working with for a long time. After hesitating, I whispered.

"Shuyan, but you can call me Sue, it's easier for people to say."

"Your real name is prettier, though," she said. "I'll call you Shuyan—see, I can say it just fine!" She flashed me a pearly smile.

I was about to thank her but Mister Kupka cleared his throat. I returned to listening but then felt someone poke me softly. I turned my head, and my eyes fell on a petite girl with chestnut-colored hair cut along her chin, with the prettiest brown eyes framed by thick lashes staring at me.

"I think your name is beautiful too! Oh, I'm Bethany Clock, but I go by Beth."

"Thank you, and nice to meet you."