Mia (1)

"So how's your first day?" Liam asked as the two of them walked back home. Mia let Liam go so they went back together.

Aki finished his shift safely. It was just one shift but he was high on adrenaline. He felt like he could take on everything in the world.

"It's okay. I didn't make a fool out of myself as I thought I would be. Plus everyone's nice." Alex was patient with him, explaining things he did not understand. Aki was like her shadow all throughout, always hovering behind her. Mia looked out to him too. But she was busy and covered for anyone on break.

But the nicest staff was Liam. He was so attentive, constantly checking out how Aki was doing. He taught Aki how to arrange the orders so the waiters would not be confused which tray goes to what table. Aki appreciated that kind of support.

Before, Aki was horrified at the thought of Liam watching him made mistakes. His nerves doubled when Liam came in. Which reminded him...

"So why did you come in today? I thought today's your rest day?"

Liam exhaled in exasperation. "That's what I thought too. Mia texted me telling me I need to come. She didn't give me any reason at all which was weird. So I just assumed someone had an emergency or something so she had to call me in. But I'm glad she did." He tittered.

Aki giggled at the sound of Liam's nervous laugh. Not because he was trying to be a jerk but because that was an unlikely sound from Liam. It was cute and contagious. When he gathered himself, Aki said, "Me too."

Liam jerked his head towards Aki, confused.

"I mean, I'm glad to see a familiar face on the first day of my first job." Having someone he knew and trusted was reassuring, not at all terrifying. Liam believed in him which made him believe in himself.

Aki scratched the tip of his nose. He was being sentimental on the smallest of things. To avoid embarrassing himself further, he tried to change the subject. "Mia is really nice. She is quite overwhelming at first but she's great at everything around the cafe."

Liam paused in his steps. "Aki, if Mia's coming on too strong, just say so."

Aki tilted his head to one side and wondered if Liam thought that he was infatuated with his girlfriend and felt like he should clarify things right away. He waved his hand in front of him frantically. "Don't worry! I don't have a crush on your girlfriend. I respect her as a coworker, that's all."

Once again, Liam paused and stared at him, dumbfounded. Meanwhile, Aki felt, well, just dumb.

"Wait, you thought, we have a thing? Me and Mia?" Liam roared with laughter.

Aki acted offended. "You're laughing way too much."

Liam schooled his features right away. "Right, sorry." But the glint of laughter never left his eyes. "Just... me and Mia? Really? Unless you've seen us... but it's impossible." He muttered the last sentence to himself. "But there's nothing going on between us. Really."

When Aki did not look convinced, Liam continued, "Mia's my cousin and I work for her. So in the cafe, she's my boss. You have seen how she commanded me. I am at her beck and call."