33

It's the day of the submissions for that nasty high death rate Tournament

It's the day of the submissions for that nasty high death rate Tournament. I sit with Daphne watching students from all three schools try their luck and enter their names in the Goblet.

The boys were out trying to bully Ravenclaws into giving up their homework for Transfiguration and Divination.

"Who do you think will be the Hogwarts Champion?" She asked eyeing a few older Gryffindor's putting their names in.

I follow her gaze and frown. No one in particular came to mind. I know for a fact that no Slytherin was entering. We might be the ambitious ones but we weren't reckless and stupid. Eternal glory didn't appeal to us as it did to the other houses. To us, we already have the glory and all the wealth we could ever desire.

Just then, Cedric Diggory walks into the room. All his Hufflepuff friends pushing and teasing him to put his name in. I wasn't particularly close with Diggory. When we were younger I used to have lunch with him and his grandfather. Our grandfathers were close friends.

Cedric Diggory even came to St. Mungo's when my grandfather was sick and went to the funeral. I know he's the top of his seventh year class and the Hufflepuff Team Captain in Quidditch.

"Maybe Diggory." I tell her. He has the heart and the talent. Granted, it's because the current seventh years weren't that impressive.

"Cedric Diggory? He's no Terence Higgs." Daphne whispered to my ear. "I mean Terence Higgs is Merlin's gift but I guess Diggory is alright too."

"I can't believe you still like Higgs." I whisper back. "He graduated years ago."

Daphne ignores me. "He's a professional Quidditch player now- did you know?"

"Yes, Graham told me. Higgs plays for the team his father owns. Who do you think will be the Hogwarts Champion?" I ask changing the subject.

She pauses for awhile looking at the crowd that's gathered. "A Gryffindor. They're all about sudden death aren't they?"

-

We all gathered in the Great Hall waiting for the Champions to be announced. We've already put bets on who we thought would be the Champion. For Drumstrang it was obviously Viktor Krum. For Beauxbaton- we didn't bet on any of them. No one really stood out. Now for Hogwarts, it was down to Ravenclaw Roger Davies - I really don't think so he could barely take me inside the pitch - Gryffindor is a seventh year I'm not familiar with and finally my bet is Cedric Diggory. A Hufflepuff but really he's a swell guy. You literally cannot think of anything bad to say about him.

"Roger Davies?" Daphne said in distaste when someone in our table mentioned him. "That swot? No."

"I don't really like the Ravenclaws." Theo says looking towards their table. "They have no house loyalty. They're widely known for leaving people behind."