37

Draco paled drastically

Draco paled drastically. "W-What?"

"Well, it just isn't proper with Graham waiting for me back at Great Hall. Can you ask again tomorrow?" I scratch the back of my head.

Draco pauses and then he laughs loudly wiping tears from his eyes. "You're something else, Kally. I tell you I want an understanding and you worry about another bloke."

I laugh with him holding his hand. "I'm definitely accepting, Draco. Merlin knows this has been a long time coming."

Draco wraps his arms around my waist and buries his head in my shoulder. "A very long time."

-

When we returned to the Ball, Graham rushed to my side looking panicked. "I was looking for you."

I smile at Graham feeling guilty. Perhaps in another life, Graham and I could be together with our Quidditch and mannerless conversations but in this one it's Draco, where at age six Draco and I were already planning where our wedding would be and who we would invite. Many summers with Draco were dedicated with promises of our future.

"Do you mind stepping out with me?" I ask Graham and he nods warily eyeing Draco.

Draco doesn't spare him a glance only leaning down to my ear to whisper that he'll get us a drink.

-

The talk with Graham was as pleasant as it could get. I'm pretty sure he had a few tears in his eyes but he smiled through it.

"I understand. You and Malfoy have a long history. I know that." He says trying to look brave. "I just had such a crush on you. You were worth the try."

"I am sorry, Graham. If things were different-"

Graham laughs looking to the sky. "I remember when we were younger, Draco was already so protective of you. He pushed me away when we were like four."

I laugh with Graham at the memory. "Yeah, that's Draco."

"I'm confident he can take care of you. A little sad I couldn't be the one to do it though."

Not knowing what to reply to that, I wrap Graham in a long hug. He was still my teammate and my mentor. An all around good guy.

We pull away and he grins. "Let me know when Draco messes up. I'll still be here waiting."

There was a loud tsk from behind us. "You wouldn't have to worry about that, Pucey."

Graham and I roll our eyes. "It's Montague." We both say at the same time turning to a smirking Draco Malfoy with all his glory. Two fresh drinks on his hand.

He shrugs like Graham's name didn't matter to him. "The last song of the night is playing. Have the last dance with me, Kally."

"Is he always this demanding?" Graham whispers playfully.

"You don't even know the half of it."

-

That same night, Draco and I sat by the fireplace at our common room cuddled in a blanket. I pass him my bracelet- the one he gave four years ago- and he takes it gingerly attaching on the charm with his initials.

He smiles proudly putting it back on my wrist and lifting it up letting the light from the fireplace illuminate his claim. "Just a few years, then it'll be a ring. The biggest ring money can buy! Better than that trolley you want."

"That's a very big ring." I whisper lifting my hand to show off my ring finger. It currently had the Emrys crest ring on it.

Draco nods excitedly. "It's got to be. It's your ring. It has to be the best. After all, you deserve nothing but the best."

I smile tucking my head on his shoulder and he kisses my forehead lovingly.

"I love you, Kallista Zenia Emrys. I have loved you for awhile now." Draco confesses looking sheepish.

"And I love you, Draco Lucius Malfoy. I'm lucky to be loved by you."

We sit like that for a long time staring at the fire and lavishing on the feel of having each other. A few moments later, I feel Draco dig around his pockets again. He takes out an white envelope. "Your grandfather gave this when I asked for his blessing."

With shaking hands, I take the envelope with a neat 'Kallista' at the back. "What is it?"

"I don't know. His instruction was to give it to you once I give you my initials." We both look down at it. It was just like any of my grandfather's letters from when he was alive. "Open it."

-

My little one,

Kallista, my granddaughter, today is the day you've accepted Draco Malfoy's understanding. I suppose we all saw this coming. At a very young age, you and Draco were already inseparable. The two of you were always together and if you weren't together you'd make up excuses just to see each other.

I remember when the two of you were still young, you'd both have adventures behind the Manor. Young Draco would carry all the food baskets and still hold your hand just because he could. When you've returned, he would tell his father all about how he protected you from a monstrous insect. You would then whisper in my ear that it wasn't monstrous at all but would let Draco believe it was.

Draco Malfoy is a fine young man and an even better Wizard. I still believe he is the best and the brightest in your year- not, of course, counting you. He has great talent and potential to do great things just like you, my dear. I've watched and witnessed through the years how that boy treats you. I will rest easy knowing you will be in good hands.

I must admit, little one, this letter isn't just to wish you my blessings but to tell you of what's to come. If what I gathered from my discussion with Draco is true, he will most likely propose the understanding on your fourth year in Hogwarts. I must tell you that at the end of your fourth year in Hogwarts, Voldemort will have returned. Many of the pureblood families have been preparing for this for some time now. There will be a war, my dear. The biggest war in the history of the Wizarding World.

You must remember that you are an Emrys and that the blood of the Greatest Wizard runs through your veins.

Kally, I will not advise you on what path you should take for this war. I know you will choose the right one.

Forever yours,
Your grandfather