⁰⁴, GRYFFINDOR GIRLS DAY

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter four; Gryffindor Girls Day
" Oh, here comes the melodrama. "

  SALEM HAD NEVER been the kind of girl to spend more than thirty seconds thinking about a guy

  SALEM HAD NEVER been the kind of girl to spend more than thirty seconds thinking about a guy. This, once again, may have been thanks to her dear old dad but in her mind, it was due to her independence and the newly popular idea of 'feminism'. 

  Which is why the thin piece of paper weighed her pocket down like it was a ten-ton weight. She had trouble getting the idea of James out of her head, not in some bullshit romantic way, in the way of intrigue. The same reason she watched students play chess or Dottie work out Arithmatcy.

  James was interesting. He was a neurological stimulation that she needed.

  But it still felt shitty.

  More so because she couldn't decide whether to give him permission to hunt for her. Salem knew she didn't want him to find her, never, not in a million years. But she also didn't think he could.

  What did he have to go off of? Her handwriting and some behavioral language, not that he'd be clever enough to use those to his advantage. This bundled with their history, Salem would be the last person on the Marauders' list of suspects.

  "Sal!"

  Salem loved Dottie, she truly did, the raven-haired Gryffindor was her best and only friend by choice. But sometimes, Salem wished Dottie knew how to relax, stay silent, take a break from energy. 

  "Dot!"

  Dottie rolled her eyes at Salem's less-enthusiastic exclamation, but this didn't dampen her mood. No, the girl knew how to handle Salem's moods, the ups-and-downs of being friends with a Gerard, so she was still smiling as she slowed to a halt.

  "Dorcas and Marlene invited us to Hogsmeade."

  "I thought we were trying to find. . . Roman."

  "We are, but y' know, maybe it's a good idea to hang out with people before, or after," Dottie explained, "To relax you or take your mind off of. . . whatever happens."

  "Since when do you talk to Meadowes or McKinnon?"

  "Since they asked us to go to Hogsmeade with them," Dottie said dully, "Come on, Sal, it's our last year and we haven't hung out with that many other people."

  "Fine," Salem sighed, which made Dottie smile again, "If I get tired of them I'm leaving."

  "This isn't a hostage situation, you still have your own free will."

  "Feels like a hostage situation."

  "Oh, here comes the melodrama."