Escape

Blue scales poked through the skin on her torso, back, arms, and hips, like delicate jewelry. But then she stared at the scars that laced her face, chest, and arms. The worst were on her back. permanent lines cut through her scales, where they refused to grow because of scars.

She'd once been beautiful, but her stepfather found out her lineage and destroyed her face. Her husband had destroyed her body.

She had fought. She had fought so hard, but he would get his way whether she was conscious or not. She'd oftentimes wake in more pain than when she blacked out.

Not tonight though. Tallulah had laced the drunk man's wine with a minor poison, knocking him out for the rest of the night and possibly all of tomorrow. She had never had the courage to do this before, but he had violated her for the last time.

She took one more glance in the mirror, already missing her long red hair which she'd hacked from her head and shaved close on the sides, leaving it long on the top to tie up.

She carefully bound her chest, which was still sore from two months ago, the infection on her chest had been horrible and she lost one breast from it. Then donning an outfit she had crafted to hide her scales and womanly figure, a high neck tunic, black and a bit oversized, with a pair of men's trousers, also black. Her tall frame meant it would be easy to pass as a man as long as she hid the femininity in her voice.

She stared at the man she'd been forced to marry. Maybe he would have been handsome if the drink hadn't claimed him, or if he took time to care for himself. But he was a horrible man regardless.

She was going to join the army, it would be the last place anyone would look for her, so it seemed the most reasonable route.

She would have to travel the long journey to the city or Aria on foot, no horse would carry her, they shied away from her affliction. It would be worth it though, if no one was sent after her.

She almost said goodbye to her brother and mother, but she held resentment towards them and decided against it, making a clean break from the city and on the road.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
Better cover and description to come later.