Chapter 11

For the next few days, I woke up early to train. I did this for two reasons, one of them being my motivation to make it to the top of the list. The other reason I'm scared to admit even to myself.

Every morning I would walk into the training room and begin working on my strength and agility while Four walked around the room preparing it for the rest of the initiates. Occasionally, he would throw some advice my way and I would focus on improving myself but for the most part he kept to himself looking extremely thoughtful about something. 

I sometimes entertained the idea of Four confiding in me. But then I'd realize how stupid that sounded and would force myself to train harder as a distraction from my wandering thoughts.

Today, however, was different than usual. When I walked in, the punching bags had been cleared away, leaving the space empty except for a long table with throwing knives and targets facing it.

"What's all this?" I asked, the surprise quite evident in my voice. He looked up at me from across the room looking rather surprised. I don't think he heard me come in.

"What's it look like?" He said. Normally, I would've felt reprimanded by that statement coming from him but the way he said it this time was different. If I didn't know better I'd say he said it teasingly. But Four doesn't tease people.

Seeing my uncertainty, he continued, "I'm going to teach you guys to throw knives."

"Obviously," I said. I made it very clear that I was teasing him. "I meant, why are we doing this?"

"Because it's part of your training. I'm going to teach you to throw hard and accurate."

I actually laughed, though I'm sure why. It felt more reflexive than anything else. 

"May I have a demonstration?" I said as I settled against the wall, leaning casually.

He walked towards the table looking almost apprehensively at the knives. But when he reached for the knife he picked it up with strong confidence. Slowly, he raised the knife in his right hand, staring at the target as he did so. 

Carefully, I watched his form, taking note of where he placed his feet and where he held his arms. 

He took in a deep breath before flicking his wrist. The sound of the knife finding its mark happened just a second after his wrist moved.

Amazed, I straightened from my relaxed stance. "You literally didn't move."

"I moved," he said, turning away from me to hide the slight grin that played on his lips.

"Okay. You moved your wrist. That's it!" I said, trying to make sense of how one flick of his wrist sent a blade flying into a target that stood a few yards away from him. I stuttered for a moment but all I could get out was, "How?"

A low laugh rumbled in his chest. "I'm going to teach you that. As soon as the rest of you get here."

I stared at Four for a moment, admiring how the smile changed his appearance completely. It made him look younger. I was struck again by the reminder that my trainer is only a couple of years older than me. I often found it hard to remember that.

His smile faltered as he noticed my stare but before he could say anything, the rest of the initiates began to file in from breakfast.