Chapter Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine

Wanna Make Him Jealous?

Anna

"Ugh, my feet are going to fall off!" Sophie complains as she drags herself, stomping and crunching the leaves underneath her.

After we got out of the lake and changed, Coach Taylor said that we're going on a hike, so we could try and walk as far as we can. We all immediately agreed, but only after ten minutes of walking then we realized that our gym teacher is the leader and our farthest point for us is considered a morning walk for her which meant one thing...

We're all screwed.

"Well, they did say there will be hiking," I tell her, adjusting the backpack hanging on my shoulders.

"Yeah, hiking, not traveling on foot," Zach mumbles.

"We've literally been walking for twenty minutes," Alex says.

"Exactly. Which is...how much is that in seconds, Leni?" Zach questions, leaning in.

"It has been twenty two minutes which is one-thousand three-hundred and twenty seconds," I answer automatically.

"Yeah, one-thousand three-hundred and..." he trails off. "What was the number again?" I laugh slightly and shake my head at him in response.

"Thank you, Miss Clock," Abby says sarcastically.

"Of course, loser," I reply, smiling and she scowls at me.

"Now I know who's missing!" Zach snaps his finger as if he just remembered something.

"Who?" Alex asks in an uninterested tone.

"Luke."

All of us suddenly come to stop and I turn around to face Zach. "Where is Luke?"

"I don't know." Zach gives a one-shouldered shrug.

"You don't know?" Colette raises her eyebrows.

"Zach, he was right behind you!" Sophie exclaims.

"Well, I'm sorry for trying not to fall asleep while walking!" He retorts, huffing.

I sigh as the others start making up theories of what happened to Luke. "Okay, guys. Guys," I raise my voice a bit and they stop talking.

"He probably just lost track of us and he went back to the campsite," I predict.

"How? We're twenty minutes away from the campsite, he will get lost." Zoey crosses her arms.

"That's it. We lost him. We're never going to find him again, then he will get killed and he will turn into a ghost to haunt our asses." Zach rants.

"What's up with you?" A familiar deep voice comes right from behind me and everyone either jumps or squeals in surprise.

I turn around so fast; I almost get a whiplash and I find Luke standing there raising his eyebrow at us (no doubt wondering if we're crazy), with his hand over the strap of his backpack.

"You're alive!" Zach gleams and he runs to Luke before he grabs him in a hug.

"Why the hell are you touching me?" Luke steps away from Zach.

"Yup, you're definitely alive," Zach chuckles.

"Where did you go?" I ask Luke.

"What do you mean? I was right in front of you," he frowns.

"So, you weren't behind Zach?" Zoey questions.

"No. I was walking at the front," he replies.

"Who was at the front?" Colette asks and everyone except her and Luke point at me.