Decisions

The prompt was: "You're mowing your lawn when you notice a tunnel in the road. You've never seen it before. It's a portal to another time, a time when you made a key decision. This is your opportunity to go back and change your mind. What decision do you change and why. "

This prompt really struck a chord with me. I try not to carry the burden of regret, but it is inevitable in some situations. This prompt/short story is loosely based off of my real life, embellished and exaggerated a bit :-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a long day at my full-time retail job, my alarm goes off and I hit the snooze for the fourth time. Once again, a fifteen minute nap quickly became an hour. I could have easily let it slip into two hours, or even three, but the duties of homeownership beckon me. It needs to be done, I tell myself. But, it could also wait until tomorrow. My inner angel and devil fight until the angel wins, my head finally lifting from the pillow.

I slip on my grass-covered sneakers, walking past the dreaded pile of college textbooks and homework on the kitchen table. I pause at the back door, mentally prioritizing my to-do list, wondering how I wound up at the hectic intersection of homeownership, full-time employee, and returning undergraduate student. An intersection known for chaos. The homework can wait, I tell myself. I can't help but think that if I had chose the right college the first time, I might not be in this mess.

Inevitably I find myself wading through the overgrown lawn, knowing I made the right decision, for my neighbor's sake. With my earbuds tucked securely in my ears, I trudge along behind the lawn mower in the same pattern as I've done for the past four years. I almost feel as if I could close my eyes and my subconscience would guide me along thoughtlessly. I pass the same rogue patch of dandelions, the same sunken spot where a tree once lived, and the same overgrown lilac bush. Out of the corner of my eye I spot something unfamiliar; a dark patch in the light concrete road just at the edge of my property. I release the handle of the mower and its engine cuts off.

As I approach the dark spot in the road, I'm certain it is nothing more than an asphalt patch. Curiously, I stand above it to examine it, and I see...my own reflection. I move my hand towards the spot, and it mirrors my every move. As my hand moves closer, I don't even think about what to expect once my hand touches the mysterious surface. But there is nothing to touch. My hand extends beyond level ground. 

I quickly retract my hand and sit next to the dark spot to get a closer look, disregarding any traffic that may result in my demise. I slowly place my feet, then legs, into the reflection I see before me, and I feel as if I am sitting on the edge of the earth.

After a brief thought of the unfinished lawn and unfinished homework, I close my eyes and decide to find out what is on the other side of my reflection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When my eyes open I am standing in my childhood bedroom, holding an acceptance letter to Valley State University. My heart races. I feel proud of my accomplishment, but in the back of my mind I know this is not what's right for me. My inner angel and devil fight again.

You know a community college is the right choice for you.

You've already postponed college for two years so you could be with Joey, you can't back out now!

You're young, smart, and fully capable to being independent, boys aren't everything!

You can't miss out on the "college experience"! 

The "college experience" isn't for everyone.

My eyes blink back to the paper in my hand, and the word "Congratulations" doesn't make me happy like I think it should.

"Hi Honey!" my mom calls out, setting her keys on the counter.

I walk out of my bedroom holding the letter in my hands.

"What've you got there?" she asks.

I hand her the letter and she congratulates me with about as much enthusiasm as I feel inside. She's been dreading this day.

"So, what's the next step?" she asks politely.

I pause, deciding whether the angel or the devil will win this round.

"I think the next step is to apply to community college instead," I say, "I don't think a big university is for me."

She smiles proudly.

"What about Joey?" she asks.

"I think he can handle Valley State alone. I need to make decisions according to my life, not his."

I close my eyes as my mom hugs my tightly. "I knew you'd make the right decision."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and I'm in a kitchen that I don't recognize, yet I feel right at home. I walk to the cupboard to get a coffee mug, knowing exactly where they're kept. Through the kitchen window I watch the landscape service load their equipment onto their trailer, and I admire my manicured front lawn from a distance. The kitchen table is to my right, no sign of college textbooks. I walk through the cozy, kept house, passing a framed diploma hanging on the wall, dated 5 years prior. I smile, remembering the decision I made when I was 19, the decision to choose what was best for me, to live by my rules. The decision that changed my life.