Chapter 12

Tony’s POV

"I don’t have the money man." Old man Dave on the corner of Rockwell and Ahone is my last delivery of the week before I have to return the cash to Smiley tonight.

The funny thing is, I still have some drugs left over.

"You gotta pay up man." I shake my head. "This is Smiley’s money you’re messing with."

"Please." Old man Dave is shaking. His last high was probably days ago and he looks like he’s gonna lose it. "I need the crack."

"No money? No drugs." I shrug and start to walk away. Old man Dave slams his hand into my shoulder. Well. Since he’s so weak, it feels like a pat on the back but I know he was intent on hurting me.

I smirk then watch his eyes bulge when my knees make contact with his balls. “When you got my money,” I spit at him on the ground. “Then we’ll talk.”

I head back to la cantilla with $6,000 cash in my pocket and a small leftover stash of shrooms and acid.

Ayeee. Look at you esé." Smiley laughs when I put his cash in front of him. I take the remaining drugs out of my pocket too.

"These were leftover." I mumble and push the pile towards Smiley. He smiles and pushes the pile back towards me.

"All yours," he nods when my eyes widen.

"But you said I’d get a small cut. Not… All."

"I just wanted to see how loyal you were Antonio. This is nothing. Weeks from now, I’m gonna have you selling by the 10Gs. This you can have. Come back Monday and I’ll have you a bigger stash."

I nod as the boys throw the money and drugs into a brown paper bag and toss it at me. I leave la cantilla with the most money I’ve ever had to my name.

"We can’t afford to eat at LB Steak, mi amor." My mom is carrying a laundry basket when I walk in and ask her if we can go out for dinner on the West Side.

“Tengo dinero mama.”

My mom laughs. “From where mijo? Your piggy bank?” She continues folding laundry and I toss $500 in front of her.

"Aye dios mio." My mom mutters under her breath. “Where did you get this?”

"First paycheck." I smile. "All yours."

"Antonio. Yo." My mom stutters. “I can’t take this away from you. This is your hard work.”

"No it’s okay Ma." I push the money closer to her. "There’s more where that came from. I just wanna treat you every once in awhile."

My mom is shocked. “Okay. Well. Can you go get Emi out of the bath? It looks like we’re going to LB Steak tonight.”

"This place is beautiful!!" Emily’s smile is huge when we walk into LB Steak.

The hostess smiles at Emi and bends down to say hello. Emi quickly runs behind me and the hostess stands back up.

"Table for three?" She asks. Her hair is jet black and her curvy body seems to just barely fit in her uniform. She’s pretty cute but the only body I dream about is Evette’s.

"Si." My mom quickly corrects herself. “I mean yes. Please.”

The girl smiles and we follow her to the back of the restaurant.

"A waiter will be right with you guys." I smile and wave her off while trying to get Emi into a booster seat. My mom opens the menu and her mouth falls open too.

"Ayee. So many options.”

I slide into the booth across from her abs open my menu too. Everything looks so good. And I ain’t even have to worry about the price tag.

"I don’t think I have room for dessert." My mom sits back and rubs her tummy. "That was so good. How did you even know about this place mijo?

"I saw it coming back from the mall the other week with Evie. I knew you’d like it Ma."

"I love it." My mom takes the napkin off her lap and wipes Emi’s mouth. She burps and we all laugh.

"I want dessert Mama," she says loudly. "¿Por favoorr?"

"How about we make flan when we get home?"

"Okay!" Emily relaxes in her seat.

The waiter comes back with the bill. My mom tries to reach for it but I take it before she can touch it.

$152.76.

My mom looks at me and I tuck the bill next to me while pulling two hundreds out of my pocket.

"Where in the world did you get all this money Antonio?" My mom asks.

"I’m… A personal assistant to an older guy in East Side." The story is somewhat true. "He has more money then he know what to do so he pays me well."

"I see. Well just be the good, hardworking boy I taught you to be." My mom squeezes my hand and I turn red. When she lets go, I put the money in the bill and stand it up on the table.

"How’s Evie?" my mom asks as we’re waiting for the bill to be picked up.

"Good." I shrug. "We talked a little today at school. Her and Donny are gonna come over again Sunday."

"Donny’s coming?!" Emily looks up from her coloring book with a smile on her face.

"Yeah."

She goes back to coloring and the smile stays on her face.

"You like her huh?" My mom winks at me.

"She’s cool." I try to play it off but my mom can usually see right through me.

"I think she likes you too actually."

"Yeah?!" I’m a little too excited and my mom laughs.

"Si mijo. She takes time out of her weekend to come study with you. And she’s always smiling when you guys are together. I even saw that drinking rehab paper she put together for you. She knows about your whole alcohol thing and she’s helping you through it. You actually seem to have… Softened since you guys started dating.”

"Geez Ma." I look at Emi and she’s smiling at me with wide eyes. "Me and Evette are not dating."

"Maybe not now." My mom unbuckled Emi from her booster. "But sometime soon."