Chapter Sixty-One

"It's called gas weaponry. The gas flew, it spread like fog, and covered that village... it's a gas that contains my spinal fluid."

Sitting on his crate, Zeke explained to Levi the tragedy that happened in Ragako, how a whole village of people living peacefully turned to Titans that sieged Wall Rose and killed many Scouts – Mike, Nanaba, Gelgar.

"If a Subject of Ymir inhale the gas, they lose control over their body and they become unconscious. I know that, although I didn't hear the detailed parts. Even if a tiny amount of my spinal fluid enters the body of a Subject of Ymir, that Subject of Ymir is marked with a Coordinate which the power of the Titans will be sent to. After that, the power of the Titan will be sent to that marked Coordinate though paths if I give them a command. That Titan is connected to me, through my Beast Titan. And so it becomes a Titan that I can fully control."

Levi glared at Zeke as the man only referred to the village that he destroyed as just a "village", like he had no sentiment, no guilt to what he did.

"It's not that village, it's Ragako." Levi said. "It's the name of an Eldian Village you massacred. Remember that, mustache."

"Yes, I wanted to avoid doing that if I could. However, if I didn't do it, Marley would have found out that I'm loyal to Eldia, and I wouldn't have been able to bring home onto this island. But haven't we talked about this before, when we arrived on this island? Why are you repeating the same stories?"

"I understand that you don't feel guilt at all, I don't know if you're trying to save every Eldian, but you don't care about human lives, that's for sure." Levi said.

"You're not very popular with women, are you? Don't act like you understood someone else's thoughts."

Levi's hands balled to a fist. He placed a hand on his chest, under his cape, and felt the Titan Crystal feather, Maria's necklace.

"I do understand... and there was a time when I was popular..."

"Of course, if you weren't then you wouldn't have had your daughter, yes? Well, anyways, when I do my experiment with Eren?"

"I'm not the one who decides that. I'm waiting for the orders from Headquarters."

"If they think they have enough time, tell them they're wrong."

He's right...

"That, I agree with you on."

There was silence between the two men. It was interrupted for a while when Masrur left, telling Levi that he needed to take a piss, and the sound of the soldiers changing shifts on watch duty. Levi slipped his hand in his shirt and held the necklace, for the past few days – weeks, the necklace was the only thing that keeps him from worrying about Iris. Years ago, he would always pray to Maria's spirit to keep their daughter safe, which she had done for the past seven years since she was alive, but now that she was really gone, he hoped that Maria's spirit would protect Iris. His reason of living.

"I would like to talk to you about your daughter." Zeke began. "She has royal blood, yes? But because of her Ackerman blood, the First King's ideologies did not brainwash her... but, she can't use the Founding Titan's power of controlling Titans and the Scream."

"Well, one can't have everything."

"So, you believe that it is because of her Ackerman blood that is immune to the Founding Titan's scream."

"That's the only explanation."

"Have you ever considered the fact that there are two Founding Titans?"