Chapter 16

Tony’s POV

I want it so bad.

I’ve been in my bedroom staring at a bottle of vodka for the past 15 minutes. Every time I reach out to grab it, I have to pull my hand back. I’m so close to opening the bottle when Evie walks in and grabs it right before I can.

"Hi babe. How’s it going?" She says this while walking out of my room and into the kitchen. I hear the sink running and I know she’s pouring the vodka down the drain.

"Horrible." I walk out to the kitchen and sure enough, there’s an empty bottle of vodka on the counter. "I’m starting to panic."

Evie wraps her arms around my neck and rests her forehead on mine. “Just breathe,” she whispers. And I do.

A few minutes later, I feel calmer and she give me a few light kisses.

"Better?"

"Yeah." I smile and kiss her some more.

"Excuse me." Evie and I pull apart to see Emily standing down the hall holding Donny’s hand. "Can we go to the park today? Please."

I laugh and let go of Evie. “Why don’t we go to the movies instead?”

"Movies?!?" Donny yells. "Oh yes! I’ve never been to the movies. "Can we please go Evie?"

"Err." Evie sticks her hand in her pockets then looks at me. "I don’t really have any money," she whispers.

I can’t help but laugh. “You don’t think I’d make you pay, do you?”

"No." Evette shrugs. "But I don’t wanna be… intrusive."

"I don’t know what the heck that means but we’re still going," I say. "Just lemme put on a clean shirt and we’ll get on the next bus to West Side.”

"Oh I’m so excited!" Donny says. Him and Emily are sitting one row ahead of us on the bus. "Have you been to the movies Emi?"

My sister shakes her head. “Nope. What movie are we gonna see Tony?”

"I dunno." I put my arm on Evie’s shoulder. "Whatever kids movie is out I guess. That cool with you mamas?" I turn to Evie and she nods.

"Sounds good." She leans into my chest and closes her eyes.

When we get to the movie theater, me and Donny go to the box office to get tickets while Emily and Evie look at the movie posters.

"What’s the next kid’s movie you got?" I ask the girl with behind the glass.

"We have How To Train Your Dragon 2 in 10 minutes,” she says.

"That sound good little man?" I bend down to look at Donny and he nods quickly.

"Yes please."

"Okay." I look at the lady. "Two kids and two students."

We get our tickets then make our way to the snackbar.

"Wow." Donny grabs Emily’s hand and they run up to the counter.

"Look at all these snacks Donny." Emily points to a shelf that has rows and rows of candy.

"And popcorn."

"Okay." Evie’s hand is in mine. "Maybe we can all just share a popcorn and a drink. It’s all so expensive."

Emily pouts. “But I want an ICEE.”

"And I want M&Ms," Donny says quietly.

"Guys," Evie starts. "I really don’t think—