Chapter Ninety-Five | Third World

[ 95 ]

"I'm busy, why did you call me?" Valentin entered the office without checking if there was anybody else inside. Seeing as there was a few guards dotted around, he'd just made the assumption that Andrei was present. And usually, the men had no other option but to turn a blind eye when it came to the white-haired lunatic. It wasn't a matter of fear, but more so that they had no conceivable way of stopping him.

Sitting in his office, enjoying some herbal tea, was Andrei. A variety of papers lay neatly stacked in front of him. All consisting of his endless note-taking. He took pride in seeing them all; substantially detailed and without fault. His calm, afternoon reading wasn't even interrupted when the brazen character entered, without first undergoing the simple yet most basic of common courtesies.

He didn't respond immediately, instead opting to blow on his tea and take another sip before eventually setting the porcelain cup down. He wasn't the type to become unnecessarily angry; he knew how dangerous that would be for everyone around him. So when faced with Valentin, who he would inevitably end up butting heads with, he remained composed.

"I just want to hear about how the mission went." Andrei insisted since it was very unlikely he was going to get the man opposite to fill out a report.

Valentin on the other hand, narrowed his eyes, "Nothing to say. I dealt with it."

"Dealt with it how? Because I distinctly recall myself telling you not to kill them." There was a slight snip to his voice and it made Valentin's face darken. As a man who liked to be in charge, he didn't take nicely to being told what to do. Even though Andrei had tried his very best to make sure he didn't come across as bossy. It was evidently all in vain.

Valentin slammed his hands down on the desk, crumpling the papers beneath them, and leant forward to invade the scientists space. His expression turned twisted as his yellow irises blazed. Seeing the bizarre genetic quirk was more intriguing to Andrei, more than his wasted intimidation technique.

"The only reason I haven't used this ability of mine to wring your neck, is because our deal goes both ways. And since you got to experiment on those insolent fuckers, my debt to you has been met. You've been smart enough to let me go about my way, riding on your coattails and getting the best of this decaying world, so I suggest you continue to do so and watch your tone with me, from now on." Valentin advised and Andrei watched calmly from behind his square glasses.

After the last of the bite had vanished from the feral man's words, Andrei gestured to him lightly with a raised brow. "Now that you have conveyed your thoughts, I think it only right that you allow me to voice my own?"

Valentin scoffed mockingly before standing up, but didn't refute the older man.

Andrei nodded and instead chose to rearrange his paperwork for a short while before speaking. He placed the creased papers at the bottom of the stack, to iron them out. Afterwards, he pushed back his seat and stood up. Following a quick and instinctive fixing of his white jacket, he turned his attention to Valentin.

"As opposed to what you might think, I truly don't care what you do to fill your time. As long as it doesn't interfere with my work, of course. But I was quite insistent that I wanted your old team-member's unhurt, at least for the time being. The only thing I did require, was for the securement of the irreplaceable modes of transportation." He slowly moved around the desk, not giving anything away with his tone.

"The reason why I called you, was because you actually obeyed my order to a degree. And failed astronomically at the same time."

Valentin sneered, "What did you say?"