MTM.23

a man of tradition

The mate bond sizzled between us as our eyes locked, and for a split second it felt as though the world around us stopped spinning. There was no looking away, it was just me falling deeper into his hypnotizing eyes until I memorized every colour in them. At that moment they were mostly black, just a sliver of the forest green joining in as a circle around his dilated pupils. Oddly a warm, comforting sensation was poured over me as I found myself getting lost in the moment.

Is this what Viviana brags about?

The euphoric feeling was short lived as reality came crashing down with a bang or rather a light cracking, and the sound of glass crunching underneath his boots was just the thing I needed to send me straight back to the issues at hand. My eyes roamed his body up and down, the same way a bratty child would, doing a double take at the way Morpheus stood there with dark mist floating around him, his aura thick enough to choke me. Okay, so the cloud I'm picturing behind him doesn't actually exist, but that's what would follow him around if this was an anime.

Too frightened to make a noise, praying in vain that he would use his exceptional hearing instead of his sight, I choked back a cry as I finally took his appearance in. Morpheus was practically foaming at the mouth as his body shook with rage, his jaw clenched tightly as his straight teeth turned jagged, a sharp fang protruding out from the side of his plump lips. Thickened hair stood up on his arms and continued down to his large hands, darker than before. The clothing he had on looked ridiculously tight against his increasing size, ready to rip apart at any moment. His hands were balled up into fists at his sides, not caring for the blood that had leaked out from the already healed nicks in his skin. The healing process finished before he could even feel the sting of being scratched.

His appearance reminded me of a wild animal, furious and itching for warm blood. And, I was the small rabbit in his line of sight.

I kicked and screeched as soon as he started to advance forward, closer, the same way a predator would go after their prey. With his canines on full display, testing me, acting as a silent threat to keep me in my place. His massive body curved around my much smaller one, just highlighting the fact that I was a dwarf next to a giant. Considering my bedroom wasn't as large as a ballroom, not even close to being called spacious, he was still far away, but so close at the same time.

A vicious, husky, unsatisfied whine filled the air, but it did not sound the same way an innocent puppy would. No, this was a beast. Morpheus' lip curled up at the sight in front of him, at the wonderful view of me cowering at his feet, covered in sweat and tears, and struggling to breathe properly through the overwhelming stress. Something I couldn't deal with on my good days.

During this moment, my petty self shined through as sour thoughts bounced around in my mind, letting in the sickening rumors of the oh-so-great Morpheus and allowing them to cloud my judgment on him. But, let's face it, history is history and the truth is the truth. It happened. Every bad thing that he was said to have done was done, and deep down in my heart I knew he did it with a smile.

Is this how he likes humans to be? Terrified, and at the mercy of werewolves, just waiting for what was to happen next. Is he going to finally do it? Reject me, stomp on my heart and throw me to the wolves, or would he kill me himself? I wondered without a cutoff, with no limit for me to stop, the ache boiling in my chest couldn't even put an end to my painful thoughts. But, my free thinking was quickly ended when his hand shot out to grab onto the chunky leg that was weakly striking at him. Thankfully, I was able to throw my leg in the opposite direction before he could get his claws into me, the success of the action surprising him and myself. Ha! Take that, you oversized dog! Then, without wasting anymore time due to my sudden inflated pride which would deflate in no time, I crawled backwards before stumbling up onto my feet. My balance awkward. Morpheus' face lit up with excitement as I stood there struggling like a newborn deer. Viviana always told me I was a snack, and in this case I really was a whole meal. To a werewolf, that is.