Season 3: Episode 4

| July 18 | Thursday Morning |

~ Megan's POV ~

Palm Vista Elementary. It was weird to think that in a few weeks, I would be responsible for a classroom full of eight-year-olds. It would be a challenge, especially adjusting from not teaching at all in the past two years, but I was excited.

"And this is our teacher's lounge," the principal showed.

I peeked inside and took joy in the light colors that ironically enough reminded me of the beach. Luckily, Palm Vista was still fairly new, which meant everything still looked new. I appreciated the lounge before returning my attention to the principal who was currently playing tour guide.

"We're very excited for this upcoming school year," she expressed. "And we're even more excited to have you on our team, Megan.

We paced down the hall where a few teachers were walking in and out of nearby classrooms. It seemed as if they were getting ready and setting up their own rooms before the start of the new year. I would need to do that.

"And this will be your room."

I peered inside the empty, sterile room. Yeah, I agreed internally. I will definitely need to make this a more welcoming area. This isn't high school anymore.

"Do you have any questions? Concerns?" Mrs. Ferna asked.

"I don't think so."

"Well, then I'll leave you your keys and let you get familiar with your classroom."

She handed me what I needed and left me to myself. I hugged my small box of things for my desk to my chest and walked to the back of my room. As I dispersed the box's contents, I looked around in awe. I had never had the chance to decorate my room the way I wanted. This was new. It was exciting. I could do so many things for these kids to make them feel welcome.

Then there were three knocks on my door. I looked up.

He stood there, casually dressed in a loose, gray t-shirt and khakis. His olive skin was hinted with red, probably from doing something in his own room. No to mention his disheveled black hair.

I stood up straight from my desk.

"Hi," he greeted. "I just wanted to introduce myself.

I stepped forward and held out my hand.

"Megan Adams," I greeted.

"Ethan Wess," he answered.

"Are you also new-?"

"Oh, no." He shook his head. "I taught fourth grade last year, and they demoted me to third this year."

I laughed. "I'm teaching third as well."

"Dad! Look!" a small voice shouted from the other side of the hallway.

Me and Ethan looked, only to see a little girl sitting in what seemed to be Ethan's classroom. It was superhero themed, which I thought was clever. He had obviously put a lot of thought into it. Then, the little girl held up a paper cutout of what seemed to be her version of a superhero.

"That's really good, Ashton," Ethan encouraged. "Can you make me one too?"

"Yes!" she exclaimed.

"Daughter?" I wondered.

"Yeah." He watched her from over his shoulder. "I'll apologize ahead of time, because she might end up on your roster."

"She's going into third grade?"