The blurry future

Ferry still felt the taste of Matilda's kiss on his lips when he entered the gate of his home. Every time he would taste a strawberry, the memory of that day was to follow him for the rest of his life.

But the sweet memory of the first kiss faded away as soon as he stepped inside his house. He found his whole family waiting for him in the living room. He studied everyone's faces as he entered. Her mother's eyes were red. Andrew was sitting on the sofa, dangling his leg. And Peter was walking along and across the room, his fists clenched.

"Finally, you're home..." he spat the words as soon as he laid eyes on Ferry.

"Sorry I'm late... " he dared. "I was— "

"I don't care where you've been!" Peter shouted. "You have some explaining to do, boy. And it'd better be good," he threatened. And, his eyes red with fury, he threw a thick roll of money on the coffee table.

Ferry frowned. He didn't understand a thing.

"Don't pretend you don't know!" he roared."My money! My lifetime savings! In your room!" he barked. 

Now, he was beginning to understand.

"I don't know how it got there," Ferry calmly said. "I never touched it."

A burst of nervous laughter emerged from his father's throat, "Then, how did it get there? Like magic?"

"Why don't you ask Andrew?" he snapped back at him. "He seems to be making things appear like magic lately."

Andrew raised his eyes, looking surprised, "Dad, I wouldn't... You know how grateful I am for having me in your home. Why would I steal from you?"

"Stop blaming Andrew for every bad thing you do!" Peter roared, taking a step closer to Ferry. "If you ever dare to steal from me again, I swear to God I'm calling the Police, and you're going to prison, boy! You're lucky your mother— "

Ferry didn't flinch, "Fine!" he raised his voice, "Why don't you call the Police? I know I'm innocent. Go on! Call it! You never cared about me anyway!" he yelled, taking a step closer towards Peter.

"How dare you raise your voice at me?" Peter shouted so loud, the walls trembled. "Get out! Get out of my house NOW!!!"

Ferry didn't wait to be told twice. He went up to his room, shivering with rage. He began stuffing clothes and books randomly inside an old trunk. In his hurry, he knocked down a jar with coloured rubber balls he collected when he was younger. The balls fell on the floor with a small thud, scattering all over the room like a broken rainbow. He tried to collect them, his hands shaking and his tears almost falling.

He throbbed when he felt a gentle touch of a hand on his shoulder. He raised his eyes and discovered his mother's warm look upon him.

*

Ferry and his mother found shelter under the welcoming roof of Lavender Sky. On the upper floor, after they unpacked and had a bowl of Lavender's famous vegetable soup, life seemed simple and without worries. But Ferry knew the peaceful days had come to an end and blurry times were stretching ahead.