13

'CeCe's Pancake Heaven' was written in bold red letters, high above the busy city street. I strained my neck to look up at the glittering curves of the letters. Squinting my eyes, as the bright morning sunbeams peaked over the building's edge.

"Pancakes?" I questioned looking over at him with skepticism.

"Pancakes." He confirmed with a nod of his head.

The rumbling in the pit of my stomach intensified. At the thought of the sticky maple syrup, cascading over the large mounds of pancakes. Smothered in warm, ooey-gooey, butter. Oh God, let there be lots of heart-stopping butter.

C.J. though--seemed glued to the sidewalk we stood on. His eyes staring up at the same glittery letters I had been looking at. Standing like a statue, only moving to breathe. At this point, I could probably turn him into a street performer. A few sprays of gold paint here and there and leave him to earn some money from the passerby's. But that would be cruel considering the internal battle he was having in front of me.

"Ok then---shall we?" I gestured toward the door and he stood there staring at the sign still, his hand balled into fists. Releasing them and tensing them up again at whatever was going on inside his brilliant mind. I put a hand onto his shoulder, his muscles straining against my fingertips. Concern washing over me at the sight of his clenched jaw and sweat-soaked hairline.

"You ok?" I asked softly, trying to break him out of his endless thought stream. He nodded, pulling himself from the mighty depths of his mind. His hand found the small of my back, silently reassuring me he was ok.

But I didn't believe it for one second.

"Let's eat," he said in a low voice, leading me through the door without further explanation.

The diner looked like every stereotypical 50s themed diner, except dingier. The more I looked around, the more I expected to see mice foraging for dropped food on the ground. Or heaven forbid roaches crawling in the kitchen.

A few couples sat around the restaurant in booths and tables, diving into the very pancakes I wanted so bad. God, they looked so delicious my mouth watered at the sight. C.J. hadn't said much, if you can imagine, about why pancakes. Or why this place of all places? Who knew with him anymore. He seemed to frequent places and never strayed from his routines. First the bar every night and now this new place he had obviously been to before.

"Yo, Cece!!! You've gotta see this!" I raised a brow as a server stopped in front of us, wiping his hand on his white apron giving C J. a knowing look. He shook his head with a smirk present on his face, eyeing C.J. like an old friend.

"What's it now, Damien? Another old bat...." She stopped mid-stride, her jaw falling an inch. She dropped the contents in her hands. Without care, shattering a coffee mug to pieces against the hard black and white tiled floor.

"Oh....my god!" She squealed, running at full speed. Making my body retract from C.J. a little, eyeing her making her way towards him like a crazy woman with her arms spread wide.

"Camden Jay Cole!!!" She howled throwing her arms around C.J., burying her nose into his chest.

I stood beside him in awe, something odd twirling in the pit of my stomach. Brewing mean and nasty thoughts in my brain about how pudgy she was. How scraggly her brown hair nestled in a high ponytail on top of her head was.  I shook my head trying to will this feeling away. How ridiculous of me to think these thoughts about someone I didn't know, but yet here I was. Getting angry over this woman touching him like that. Stupid.

A small glow came across CJ's cheeks, painting him red. His arms wrapped around her holding her tight, securing his chin on top of her head. Squeezing her body into a warm and loving embrace like he never wanted to let her go.