FIVE: trashmouth

"Alright so you grab the stick and you stab the Walkers in the head through the fence" Carl says, "Now do you need me to demonstrate?"

I grab the long stick with a blade at the end from his hands, "Thanks but I think I know how to kill a biter Sheriff"

He rolls his eyes, "Why do you call me Sheriff all the time? It's annoying"

I laugh at his attempt to stop me from calling him that name, "Well first of all, you wear that damn hat on your head all the time and second, once I pick a nickname there's no going back"

The boy fiddles with his hat a bit, obviously embarrassed. "Come on," he mumbled, trying to change the subject, "Let's just go do our job"

———————

Me and Carl ended up splitting up in order to cover more ground since we were the only two on "walker duty". I was now nearing the gate of the prison when I heard a voice behind me.

"Hey kid, it's lunch time"

I quickly turn around and hold out my spear to face the owner of the voice but I put it down when I realize it's just someone from the prison.

"Woah there, no need to stab me" he said, holding his hands up.

"Sorry, I guess it's just reflexes"

The man nods his head, "Yeah I get it. Well my name's Glenn", he holds his hand out.

I stick mine out to accept his handshake, "I'm Finn".

He pulls his hand away and smiles, "Well Finn, let's go get some lunch"

———————

I grab a plate of an assortment of vegetables and more roasted meat and look around the room. Both my dad and my sister are nowhere to be found so I guess I have no choice but to find Carl, the only other person I have talked to in the prison.

"Hey, can I sit?" I ask.

He nods and gestures to the seat across from him without saying a word. I sit down and start to pick at my vegetables when the boy looks up at me and suddenly says, "I've finally figured it out"

"What do you mean?"

He nods very slowly and takes a bit of his carrots, "A nickname for you. If I have one, you have to have one."

"Well then, what is it?" I ask.

The boy thinks for a second before speaking, "trashmouth"

"What kind of stupid ass nickname is that?"

The boy raises his eyebrows and points his carrot at me, "See"

"Oh come on and get that damn carrot out of my face", I say smacking his carrot out of his hands. It goes flying across the room and hits Glenn in the back of the head. I quickly turn around in hopes to act innocent but it doesn't work.

"Hey! I know that was you two!" he yells, throwing the carrot back at us.

The carrot then lands in between us and we both break into genuine laughter. I haven't actually been able to genuinely laugh with someone in what seems like forever. I almost couldn't stop laughing until I heard my dad say, "What's so funny?"

I look up at my dad and then over to Carl who is suppressing his laughter . "Oh nothing" I lie.

My dad who very well knows I'm lying just chuckles a bit before walking away. When he gets far enough to where he can't hear us Carl says, "You owe me a carrot, Trashmouth" and we start laughing even harder than before.

XXX

Carl finally has a nickname for Finn! Isn't that so cute! Finn doesn't realize how much Carl is flirting with her right now. She's kind of oblivious to that stuff.

This chapter was suuuuper short. Sorry! I wanted this chapter to be sweet before things went bad again ;)