031 || graduation

(A/N: this chapters a mess - i apologise in advance)

•••

I woke up to an incessant prodding from the redhead next to me, a large tired grin on her face as I slapped her hands away.
"What?" I groaned, moving to bury my face back into my pillow.
"It's your graduation today!"
"And?"
"I'm excited"
"You seem more excited than me"
"Well yeah - I've only seen you do this on and off for almost a decade"
"Hey! I'm not that old!"
"Yeah you are"
I let out a muffled laugh, wriggling out of her grip as her fingers started tickling my sides.
"Fine! I'm getting up! I yield! Rude woman"

"You excited?" Steve asked as I dragged myself into the kitchen, exchanging a small smile with Bruce as I passed.
"Kinda - Nat woke me up way too fuckin early"
"Wait - What?"
"Don't worry Bruce, she hasn't fucked me yet, you're still in with a chance" I teased weakly, my hand instinctively searching out the coffee.
"I didn't - that's not what I - I - what? That could never-"
Rhodey snorted at his ramblings, patting his shoulder comfortingly, "it's alright Bruce, we get it"
The man sighed in relief.
"Yeah I mean as the hulk your dick would surely rip her apar-"
"Language!" Steve yelled, his hand covering my mouth before I could embarrass Bruce any further.
I wrestled out of his grip and winked at Bruce, who's face was now bright red, as Natasha walked into the kitchen.
"Morning all"
"H-Hello - hi - morning"
"You alright Bruce?" Nat asked, raising her eyebrow at me, "you're looking a bit flushed"
I made eye contact with Rhodey (who was choking down a laugh and looking extremely constipated in doing so) and swallowed a smile, watching the two interact fondly.
"Me? I'm fine - absolutely fine. Why wouldn't I be?"
"Okay" she smiled, not believing him for a second, "Sure you are"

•••

Tears built up in my eyes as I walked on to the stage, shaking hands with the woman and receiving my diploma. I could hear Nat screaming 'yes bitch' from the front row as I did a little bow, laughter exploding from me as I rushed back down to the group, swiftly getting engulfed by a hug from Nat and Steve.
"You did it!"
"I did it!"
"Who would've thought it'd take the end of the world for you to finally get your Md"
"Very funny - lets just get home - I wanna get drunk"
"Now that's something I can agree to"

A ping from my phone distracted me slightly, fishing the device out of my pocket.

DaddyStark: Pep and I just wanted to say congratulations on your graduation - sorry we couldn't be there for obvious reasons. Now you're a doctor you technically can't say no to helping during Pep's birth so thanks in advance

SavingGrace: you're a menace. Of course I'll be there, but you'll need an actual midwife. I'm a doctor now sure but that doesn't mean I want to see your wife's vagina. I'll see you next week and thanks for the vodka! I'm getting shitfaced tonight so it'll definitely help.

I snorted as I put my phone away, earning a curious glance from Nat.
"Tony saying congrats" I explained, "also inviting me to be at the birth?"
"Can you do it? You don't have to"
"No, I can. I want to"
She smiled, intertwining our hands.
"Who's ready to get drunk off of their asses?"
"Fuck yeah Rhodey let's go!"

•••

"Let's play truth or dare!"
"What are we, five?" Rhodey scoffed, taking another swig of his beer.
"No but I'm bored" Nat pouted, leaning against me slightly as she swung the bottle of vodka around, "I wanna play it"
"I'll play if you want to"
Bruce shuffles forward shyly, his expression brightening as Nat grinned at him.
"Great! Grace will too, won't you?"
"Count me in"
"Steve?"
"Why not"
"Doesn't look like I have much of a choice then do I?" Rhodey conceded, huffing with mock annoyance.
"Okay, I'll ask first. Grace : truth or dare"
"Dare"
"I dare you to ... chug some of this vodka!"
I wordlessly moved my head backwards, opening my mouth as Nat stood up to pour the alcohol down my throat. She stopped after a few seconds, my face scrunching up at the burning of my throat.
"Holy shit okay - Bruce! You're next"
"I'm guessing dare?"
An evil smirk spread across my face as I leant back into my seat, "kiss Nat"
His reaction was immediate, his face getting even redder than that morning.
"I - I cant just - I'm sure she doesn't -"
"C'mon Brucie. Thems the rules" Rhodey chuckled, nodding in agreement, "kiss her"
In a last ditch attempt, Bruce sent a pleading look to Steve who just shrugged coyly, as folded over his chest.
"I mean this is years overdue"
Nat, who had been dead-still next to me up until now, strode over to the man and tugged him into a deep kiss.
A whoop escaped my lips as I threw my hands in the air, Steve and Rhodey wearing matching grins.
The kiss was short but sweet, Nat leaving Bruce a stuttering mess as she pulled away.
"Wow"

It only took a few more rounds until Nat dragged him away 'to talk', Rhodey heading to bed soon after, leaving Steve and I in comfortable silence.
"Y'know, I never thought I'd get my Md? I was fine with it - once ... Cooper came along I just never had enough time to fully concentrate on it - then Wakanda happened. The situation was always wrong"
Steve nodded, silently urging me on.
"Clint wanted me to do it though, tried getting me to start going back to the library when he was retired to work whilst he looked after the kids. He was so sure that I'd do it, he had a whole plan on how today would go" I explained, a watery smile crossing my face, "the kids and Nat would come to the ceremony and then we'd go for a dinner afterwards, before dropping them off at home and going somewhere where it was just the two of us... that used to sound amazing, but I honestly cant tell you what I wouldn't give to just have them all back for one day. Together"