036 || blindsided

•••

•••

5 years. It had been five years since the snap, since I had held my kids.
It had been just over four and a half years since I had last seen my husband.
It had been 4 years since I had become a godmother (and basically a free babysitter) to Morgan H Stark, and 3 years since life had started to feel resigned to be like this forever.
So, we adapted. Nat, Steve and I carried on, doing what we could to help.
Steve kept up his therapy groups, Nat kept running what was left of the 'defence team' and I kept going to work at the hospital. It was a routine, but one that we liked. It was comfortable, and by now everything was expected.

"Nat? You'll never believe what an idiot Lisa was today" I grinned, placing my keys on the coffee table, "she - oh. There are people here"
I stopped mid-step, my eyes widening as I took in the new faces in the room.
"Sorry I forgot to tell you - we went to get everyone back together. I didn't call you because you were at Starks and then on call at the hospital"
I narrowed my eyes suspiciously as she rubbed her neck, her stance betraying her anxiousness. That was all quickly forgotten, however, as i caught sight of a familiar face.
"Thor! Oh my god I haven't seen you in years!"
"Lady Grace!"
He had grown significantly bigger, his hair long and ratty from mistreatment. Restraining a frown, I pulled him into a hug, the action seemingly shocking him. He soon melted into it.
"Oh, you have got to let me braid your hair" I smiled, carding my fingers gently through his locks, "I haven't done someone's hair in so long"
The god nodded hesitantly, "That would be lovely. Thank you"
"Of course"

Turning to the hulking figure next to him, I held back a gasp of shock as I saw Bruce.
"You green bastard!"
"Grace-"
"Do you know how long we were waiting on you to show your face around here again? I have half a mind to slap you right now!"
"We've talked Grace" Nat said, holding me back by my arm, "it's all good. He has his reasons"
Narrowing my eyes, I grunted in affirmation, pulling my arm free from Nat's hold.
"I'm sorry I didn't call. I just needed some time to figure some stuff out"
He gestured to his new form, raising his eyebrow at me. With a small nod I accepted the explanation, making sure to give him a warning death glare anyway.

As I stepped away from him, I spotted Tony talking quietly to Steve, my eyes bugging out of my head. I looked back at Nat, raising my eyebrows as if to ask 'are you seeing this?', only receiving a shrug in return. I waited until they had finished, Tony turning around and gesturing for me to come over. My smile widened as I rushed over to give him a hug.
"I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away for too long T"
"Well I owed you for babysitting Morgan last weekend" he shrugged, brushing it off.
"I'm proud of you" I said quietly, squeezing his hand.
He gave me a quick smile, gesturing towards the other corner of the room.
"Nebula!"
"Hello Grace"
"Can I get a hug this time"
"Still no"
"I will - one of these days I'm gonna get a hug from you"
The raccoon at her side sniggered, folding his arms, "when I see that ... I don't even know what I'd do"
"I don't think we've met before, I'm Grace"
"Rocket"
"Nice to meet you"
He just nodded, leaving me to look around the room for anyone else I might have missed.

"Rhodey!"
He grinned, opening his arms for a hug.
"It's been a while"
"Only like - what - four months? Where were you?"
He exchanged a glance with Nat over my head before shaking his head.
"Nowhere important"
Before I could ask what that was, my eyes locked on to the man standing next to us.
"Yo! I thought you were snapped?" I asked, gaping at Scott Lang, "Nat What the fuck is going on"
"We'll explain it in a second Grace but-"

"Wait, you said there were -?"
My voice trailed off as I caught sight of him. Clint. Leaning against the door frame as if it was the most casual thing in the world, he offered me a small smile and a nod.
'You absolute bastard'
His smile dropped, and he moved to stand up straighter, his stance significantly tighter.
'After all these years you're just gonna nod at me? What the fuck is wrong with you?'
"Grace-"
'No. You listen to me. You didn't even say goodbye to me - you just left me? After everything we did - everyone we killed - you thought it was a good idea to knock me out and leave me in a motel room in fucking Mexico'
'You know there's more to it than that-'

"Does anyone know sign language?" Scott whispered, "she looks angry"
"I don't but even I can tell that he's getting grilled" Rhodey snickered.

'Please do explain then Clint'
'Being with me wasn't good for you-' he stopped mid-sign, his eyes fixating on my ring finger, 'you took your ring off'
His expression was one of pure heartbreak, eyes dropping to the floor for a second before returning to mine, this time full of anger.
'So you found someone else, huh? Moved on? Smart'
"Wow" I breathed, voice cracking with emotion. Steeling myself, I grabbed the chain around my neck and ripped it off, throwing it at his feet.
'Not that you care or anything'
"Grace-"
I just shook my head as I shot him the middle finger, storming out of the room.

"I know what that means!" Scott said excitedly, earning glares from around the room.
"Not the time man"