TWELVE: conversations through a window

For the past couple of days it's been very boring. I have been stuck in the cell block which has no windows and it's driving me crazy. There's nothing to do in this stupid quarantine and I don't think I can take it any longer.

I feel completely fine but Hershel won't let me leave. He says I could still be contagious but it's been days since I've had a fever. I even have enough energy to work out which I normally don't do but I've gotten so bored and I need something to fill the time.

Interrupting my thoughts Hershel limped into the room and sat on the edge of my bed. "Okay Finn. Since you have been fever free for a couple of days I am going to let you have a guest." he explained.

I felt my face light up at the thought of finally getting to talk to someone. Everyone in here is either busy or sick.

Hershel noticed my excitement and smiled. "Now," he said, "you can only talk to them through the glass. I don't want anyone else getting sick. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course it is!" I said as I hopped to my feet and ran down to the window Hershel was talking about. It was a window that looked out into the hallway that connected to the rest of the prison.

When I reached the window I saw Jenna and Claire on the other side.

"Finn!" Claire yelled and put her hands on the glass.

I put my hands against hers and smiled. I missed my sister so much. She always knew how to make me smile and that was something I needed the last couple of days.

"Hi Claire" I said. I turned my head and looked at Jenna, "Hey Jenna"

"Hi Finn"

"Are you feeling better?" Claire asked. Her voice sounded so muffled through the glass. I just wanted to run out the door and hug her but I resisted. I couldn't risk her getting sick.

"Yeah. I actually feel great!"

Jenna butts in, "The why can't you come out?"

"Hershel says he doesn't want to risk anyone else getting sick." I explain.

She nods, "Well it's been super boring out her with you."

"Yeah! We missed you so much" Claire adds.

I laugh for the first time in days, "It's been super boring in here too. I mean there's like nothing to do. I think i've read about 5 books since I woke up!"

"Woah that's a lot" Claire says as she finally takes her hands off the window.

"I know" I giggle.

Jenna walks closer to the window, "I mean we have fallen apart without you. All the kids are in quarantine in a separate part of the prison and it's terrible."

"Everyone keeps arguing and being mean. I wish you were there to make it stop" Claire adds.

Jenna nods, "It's true. Claire and all the little kids cry every night, the boys have gone absolutely crazy, and Jackson won't stop yelling at everyone."

I don't know how I could stop all this from happening but I just nod, "I wish I was there too"

Jenna's face suddenly lights up and she changes the topic, "You will never believe what happened!"

"What happened" I laugh.

"Me and Tyler kissed!" she squealed.

"Ew!" Claire yelled. She then started to make gagging noises and pretended to throw up.

"Ew is right Claire!" I agreed.

Jenna who looks very offended laughs a bit and yells, "It was very romantic actually!"

I laugh at her again before continuing, "There's a flu going around! How do you know he doesn't have it!"

"Holy shit you're right" Jenna says.

Claire and me look at each other before laughing one more time.

Jenna who obviously wants to change the subject butts in, "Speaking of boys, Carl has been so worried about you"

I felt my face get red and looked at me feet, "Oh stop lying. He doesn't care about me" I mumble so they can barely hear me through the window.

"Oh yes he does!" Jenna yells, "I thought he was going to go crazy from worrying so much! Whenever an adult comes to check on us he asks if you're alright."

I couldn't believe what Jenna was saying. That Carl, the asshole really did care about me. Even after he played me.

"No, he's an asshole that only cares about himself. He lied to me Jenna. He even faked being my damn friend. Carl does not care about me" I said now filled with anger. Either Carl was faking it or Jenna was lying and I couldn't handle either.

Claire looked up at me and smiled, "Finn, she's telling the truth. Carl can't sit still he's so worried."

"Ha! Even you're sister says so!" Jenna yells.

"You guys are assholes"

"We're just stating facts!" Jenna replies

"That he likes you!" Claire adds.

XXX

Just another short and sweet chapter. I swear the next chapter and beyond gets so much better and interesting. I promise!

I'm actually kind of glad Jenna and Finn are friends. Finn needs someone to vent to that isn't her sister and dad.

Q: Do you think Carl still likes Finn?