7

Richie's idea of investigation was breaking into Sonia's house again. Unfortunately, no one else shared that plan. In fact, Stan stayed the night at Richie's house just so they'd walk to school together and Stan could make sure Richie would get to first period.

Richie grumbled all the way to school, even more annoyed when Stan pushed him along as he tried to pause in front of the Kaspbrack household.

"Richie, whatever hurt you-"

"It doesn't even hurt!" Richie claimed, touching the mark.

It didn't hurt his hands to touch it and the only thing it left on his fingers was the remnants of the foundation Bev had put on his cheek the night before. Bev claimed there was no point in letting others see the mark since they couldn't explain it and it didn't see to go away.

"We need to know what that thing is first, okay?" Stan said, slightly worried for Richie. Ever since he got the mark it seemed that he was constantly angry and easily set off.

"Fine," Richie grumbled.

Richie was not in a great mood. His head hurt and he was freezing even though it was seventy degrees out. To add, he had a weird nightmare so he was unable to sleep. He had seen Eddie in it, but Eddie wasn't the demon like creature. Instead it was Richie and he saw himself attack Eddie who was crying for help.

He woke up sobbing and in a cold sweat.

"I think he needs help," Richie said quietly, part of him regretting getting angry with Stan.

"He was chained in a room, wasn't he? And you said he said that it was to protect the outside world from him. I think you need more help than him, Rich. You have a fucking burning handprint on your face that won't go away," Stan said quickly, showing how freaked out he was.

Richie scoffed but followed Stan to school. He didn't share first period with Stan, Bev, or Bill, but it was English. Richie had a natural talent in English, always passing his class with flying colors. However, that morning, his mind kept shifting to other places.

He felt overly aware. Every time a person shifted in their seat or pulled out their phone, Richie could tell. He couldn't focus on the lesson. It was as if something had taken over his mind.

Eddie had said he could overwhelm emotions. Maybe whatever he did to Richie hadn't worn off.

The foundation was getting itchy so Richie scratched his face, the foundation all coming off as he rubbed it. He kept tapping his foot and fiddling with his pen. In his other classes he was always jumpy, but in English he usually sat down and got the work done.

"Are you okay?" a boy next to Richie whispered.

Richie knew his name was Ben. They usually partnered up on projects because they were the only two who focused in class and enjoyed the subject. Ben didn't think he'd ever get along with Richie Tozier, but Richie surprised him with his love for English.

"Y-yeah. I'm okay. Just..." Richie felt a shudder run up his back. The room was too cold, even though he was wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. "Too cold."

Ben was confused. If anything it was too hot in the room. He saw the mark on Richie's face and immediately thought Richie had been attacked since it was too small to be an adult's hand.

Richie continued to kick his foot on the ground, looking uncomfortable and almost a little afraid. Ben handed Richie his sweatshirt that he had worn to school and Richie took it without hesitation.

"Ben?" Richie asked halfway through class.

"Yeah?" Ben responded, taking a few notes before turning to Richie.