eleven

《CHAPTER ELEVEN》

CARTED SAT IN THE back seat of a car that Clint was driving

CARTED SAT IN THE back seat of a car that Clint was driving. Nat was beside him and they were talking, but Carter wasn't listening. Once she sat down, the adrenaline began to wear off and she could now feel the pain from her wounds. She just focused on her breathing, which was becoming more difficult as the city got higher and higher still.

Nat turned to her. Carter only realised she said something once she finished her sentence.

She snapped her head up. "Sorry, what?"

Nat repeated "so how did you get the okay to come here?"

"I didn't," Replied Carter sheepishly.

Nat's lips quirked up, almost into a smile before she turned back around.

Clint and Nat once again continued their conversation, Carter not listening.

She only paid attention again when they came to a stop. Nat got out of the car, Carter about to follow her when she was stopped by Clint.

"Hey, slow down there. You're waiting here. You've already been through enough today."

Carter nodded as she sat back in the chair, having nothing to do except wait for Nat. But then, Clint got out of the car, too.

He turned to her, noticing that she was about to speak. "Please, just stay here. You've already helped us enough today. You deserve rest. Just don't leave the car. If we need you, I promise we'll come and get you."

Carter hesitantly confirmed she would stay in the car. When she thought about it, she actually didn't want to get back out into the battlezone again anyway.

But that all changed when Carter heard the scream about ten minutes later. First, the large explosions gained her attention before she noticed a person in the line of fire. The woman was frozen in place, seconds away from being hit. Carter quickly jumped into action, making a portal to appear right beside the girl. She grabbed her and shoved her backwards, just before the woman could be hit.

Between sobs, the woman managed a "thank you so much!"

Carter nodded before bringing her in the direction of a safe ship. The woman climbed as she shook violently.

Steve saw Carter from the edges of one of the ships. He shouted her name as he jumped backwards, just making it on to the now rapidly rising ship in time.

She turned her head, realising what was going to happen. She gasped before quickly making a portal. However, the ship was rising too fast that she nearly slipped of the rim. She luckily managed to grasp onto the edge, but she was about to fall. Just before her last finger was about to slip, Steve grabbed her hand and pulled her up. They both watched as the city plummeted to the ground. But before it could make impact, it exploded.