【30】Getting Ready

By the time Kate drove Tammy and me home, she had lost most of her best friend privileges

By the time Kate drove Tammy and me home, she had lost most of her best friend privileges. I still couldn't believe she'd let me go alone to that dinner. She didn't see what the problem was and argued it was just a dinner. I'd go, eat, and then come back.

On our way out, I'd seen Oli and had asked for the girls to give me a minute alone with him. Sheepishly, I had apologized and explained the situation. Of course, this new setback had bothered him at first, but he had been so enthusiastic about the sale going through that his original disappointment hadn't lasted for long. As understanding as ever, he'd told me to go, stating we had plenty of time to get our first date.

Now that we were home, Kate had set up her suitcase in my room, and I was going through my clothes to see what I would wear tonight. It was agreed I'd meet them there, and I'd decided to take my car. I had to use it now and then, or it would eventually die on me.

I was quickly browsing through the few dresses I owned when Kate gasped behind me. "I can't believe you still have this one!" she said, joining me. Shoving her hand in my wardrobe, she took out a hanger with a dress on it. I winced, recognizing the garment.

Upon getting my first paycheck, Kate had dragged me on a shopping spree, and I'd impulsively bought this dress, made out of black silk and built-in two parts. The lower half was an A-line skirt that reached over my knees, and the top was a front part tied behind the neck. The entire back was exposed, all the way down to the waist where the skirt started.

Back then, it looked nice and had been on sale, so on Kate's insistence, I'd bought it. I had never worn it, though, but I still didn't have the heart to throw it away, hoping one day I would have the occasion to use it.

Kate looked at the dress, then me, then the dress again, and a mischievous smile stretched her lips. Oh, no. She wasn't winning this one. "Forget it, I'm not wearing it tonight," I said, returning to my closet's inspection.

"Are you sure? You would look so hot in it."

"I'm sure. I want to look professional. Not hot."

Kate shrugged her shoulders with a pout. "You're right. And anyway, Alexander will eye-fuck you no matter what you're wearing."

Shocked, I turned to her. "What the hell! Don't say things like that," I scolded her, a wave of embarrassment invading me.

"Like what? True things?"

"You and I both know there isn't an ounce of truth in what you just said, so just shut up." I took the dress from her and put it back on the rack. With angry gestures, I kept scanning through my clothes.

"You really are blind, aren't you?" she asked. I didn't need to look at her to know she was analyzing me with her intense blue eyes. My answer came out like a growl.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean your boss wants to fuck you, and you're so clueless you don't even know it."