【32】First Taste

The car stopped in front of my building, and Lex turned off the ignition

The car stopped in front of my building, and Lex turned off the ignition. I was in a strange state of mind, between the euphoria of the sale, and the numerous glasses of Chardonnay. I was feeling light and untouchable, as if nothing could get to me.

Without the low humming of the engine, everything seemed abnormally silent. I stared at the dark, empty streets, the faint light of the lamps barely lighting up our surroundings. There wasn't a soul in sight, so I curiously checked the clock on the screen in front of us. It was almost midnight.

"So, what are you going to do with all the money?" Lex asked, turning to me.

"Well, I don't really know yet. I mean, I know how I'm going to spend some of it, like paying off my student loan and then buying at least one new car for my parents. Also, maybe a new graphics card for my desktop. A top-shelf one, since my current one isn't doing so good with newly released games," I explained, then I paused to think of something else. "I think I'll put the rest aside and use it with parsimony."

I turned to him and saw he had a slight grin pushing up the corners of his mouth. "What, did I say something stupid?" I wondered.

"No, absolutely not," he said, his smile intensifying a little, revealing his white teeth. He was incredibly charming when he smiled. Well, he was charming all the time, but even more with a smile. "It's just that most women I know would have gone on a shopping spree, or treated themselves with a series of spas and such," he explained, analyzing me. "And then there's you, buying a car for your parents when you have the worst car I've ever seen, and buying components to upgrade your computer."

I wanted to argue that my car wasn't this bad, but tonight's events begged to differ. Yes, maybe I should think about investing in a car for myself.

I was generous, as I'd always been. Spending money for myself was always a complicated affair, and I only did so in case of absolute necessity. Except when it came to food. However, I'd always loved to give gifts and please people. For instance, my mother collected statues, figurines, or sculptures of peacocks, and over half of the collection came from me, as I'd see one in a yard sale or a shop, and just buy it on the spot, without a second thought. It didn't matter how broke I could be, I would always manage to find a few dollars for a gift.

Regardless of my poor tastes, I liked clothes and jewelry as well. The problem wasn't going on a shopping spree. The problem was treating myself in general. Money held value in my eyes, and I only rarely spent it on a whim. Surely, some of the dollars I'd just made would be spent on clothes and self-care, but not all at once, rather scattered over the years.

"The women you're familiar with probably aren't poor, so we don't have the same priorities. But I guess I might be a bit weird," I admitted with a slight frown.

"I wouldn't say weird, rather... different," he corrected, his gray eyes locked on mine.

Part of me wanted to tell him I was different from what he knew, but rather basic when it came to the rest of us mere mortals. Another part was secretly revelling in what he'd said.