The Ivy League Part 27

“Cookies! Right here, right NOW! COME ON!” I yelled angrily at the top of my lungs, and Jake had to pull me back from chasing after a terrified freshman.

He sighed. “Courtney, there are better ways of selling at a fundraiser instead of screaming at everyone who walks by.”

“I’m doing fine,” I sniffed, and Jake raised his eyebrows at the mountain of cookies we haven’t sold.

“Fine,” I said grudgingly, “I’ll be nicer. GET YOUR COOKIES RIGHT HERE, AND YOU CAN TAKE JACOB HOWE HOME WITH YOU!”

That got much more attention, and a gaggle of giggling sophomore girls walked up. They each bought a cookie, making me smile smugly at a horrified Jake who mouthed, I hate you at me.

“Hi, Jake,” their preppy, Ellen-wannabe leader cooed and Jake looked miserably at her, as though wondering what he had ever done to deserve her.

“I’m having a party at my parents’ house this week?” she said it like it’s a question, “So, would you like to come?” she looked hesitant but entirely too hopeful and I scowled.

“Did you already get the Ivy Approval?” I snapped, and the girl’s eyes widened.

“Um… no, not exactly,” she stammered, horrified, and completely surprising me. The scowl slid off my face.

“You… didn’t?” I asked, blinking, and the girl flushed, not looking at Jake anymore but down at the ground. The rest of her group looked uncomfortable, too.

“I don’t want to ask them,” I heard her mutter rebelliously, and I grinned.

“Honey, I’m so proud of you!” I said, patting her on the shoulder, and her head flew up. Obviously, I wasn’t meant to hear that.

“Please don’t tell!” she implored me. “It’s mostly us sophomores anyway, and the Ivy Leaguers are all either seniors of juniors.”

“Missy is a soph,” one of her friends reminded her, and the leader went from red to white.

“I- I guess I’ll have to ask them after all,” she choked out, all her bouncy, peppy confident attitude lost.

“I thought it was an honour to have a leaguer at your party?” I asked coolly, and the girl flushed again, looking around to make sure no one overheard us before leaning in.

“I never meant to say that it wasn’t… it’s just that, well, don’t tell anyone,” she begged, and the poor girl looked so terrified that I nodded in confusion. “But whenever the Ivy Leaguers show up, they take over everything, and it becomes all about them. I don’t mind, but just this once I want to enjoy my sweet sixteen party. It’s my house, and my parents have been planning this party since last year! I just wanted my friends at this party,” she finished miserably, “but I guess there’s no way around it. I’ll have to ask one of them.”

“You shouldn’t talk like that about the leaguers,” one of her friends scolded her, and the girl looked like she was about to cry. Her cookie that she was holding was slowly crumbling onto the ground, but she was beyond caring.

“I’ll come to your party,” I said suddenly, surprising everyone, myself included.

The whole group of girls gasped, and even Jake looked at me worriedly.

“But that’s going against the Ivy League!” one of the girls piped up, and I stared at her.

“Duh.”

But the leader ignored her friends, eyes shining. “Would you? Really?”

“Sure,” I said, “And I promise it won’t be about me, either. It’s your party, just enjoy it.”