T W E N T Y - S I X

Shota avoided Sumire the entire last night and couple hours she was in the hospital, and it frustrated her. First of all, for someone who seemed so relieved when she woke up from her coma, it was awfully disappointing that he wasn't at least around to keep her company every now and again. Or even to bring Eri by, or something.

Secondly, she wanted to make sure she got her cat back.

He didn't even show up or text her when she was released from the hospital.

Still, she found her apartment on the second floor as the second-to-the-last door down the hall. All of her surviving belongings were already moved in and unpacked, as well as some new furniture courtesy of the school and Principal Nezu.

But Echo wasn't there. She released a loud, irritable groan. "Shota!" She whined, seconds from banging on the wall between their apartments to get him to bring the beloved cat back to her. He was being an immature child and she was over it.

Until she felt anxious about seeing him again.

So, she hid in her room for a while, waiting for the man to come around, be friends again, and give her damn cat.

But as the hours went on, she became more restless. She searched through her cabinets for some kind of alcohol to give her the courage to face him and the awkwardness that remained in the wake of a passionate kiss, a possession incident, a cat theft, and an encounter with very zealous and forward students. But she found absolutely nothing. Granted, she never kept much alcohol to begin with.

Se prepared herself to suck in a breath and drift through the wall, then froze when she realized she couldn't access the part of her that allowed her to do just that. With a sigh, she left her apartment like a normal human, although she was in her sleepwear. It just happened to include pants and a bra having been drawn out of the privacy of her home.

Recognizing it was late and that Eri was probably asleep, she refrained from knocking and texted the elusive man instead, not knowing if he'd even see it or answer.

But within moments he quietly pried open his new door. She felt relieved that he was there, but was also pouting over his lack of communication and possession of her cat.

"Can I please have my cat back?"

"Sure, you can come inside." He mumbled, acknowledging her rudeness at her door. Still he stepped back and gestured for her to step in the room. So, she did and he shut the door behind her.

"What's with the attitude?" Sumire whispered, not wanting to disrupt Echo or Eri. "You're the one who's gone dark on me. I think I deserve to have an attitude."

"Sorry." He muttered under his breath, fully understanding why he was avoiding her. He wasn't intending to keep her cat from her, but he didn't know how to face her. He didn't even know if she remembered the very memorable kiss, considering the circumstances.

Still, he beckoned her to his bedroom so that they wouldn't disrupt the sleeping little girl. Echo was curled up on his bed, but she got up and jumped into her owner's arms and nuzzled her nose into her soft pale skin. Then when she saw the open door, she leapt down and went for the living room.

He shut the door behind them and started to take of his shirt for another with whatever stains were on the first one.

But he didn't recall the scars that now lined his back and arms; the scars she - in her possessed state - inflicted on him. His muscles became tense and he froze when she gently touched the pink flesh that stretched from his shoulder to his waist. She knew she hadn't seen it before, and while the wound was closed, the scar was still fleshy and swollen, so it had to be newer.