Chapter 29: Words of advice

Both Dongmei and Jinghua stand in front of the table located in the study room as General Hai Bojing seems to be writing something on a piece of paper. They stand there for more than 10 minutes now and the one who instructed them to come there still stay in silent as he concentrates writing. Both of them are looking at each other and, as the minutes passed by, they are getting quite nervous.

As their heartbeats are getting faster, General Hai Bojing suddenly says, "Both of you must have already heard that the Fourth Prince and Chunhua will be going to the Western Region soon. Your mistress intends that both of you will be accompanying Chunhua while she is there."

Dongmei then says, "General Hai, we know. We will do what the young madam wanted us to do."

General Hai Bojing nods his head and further says, "Huian wanted the two of you to go there so that both of you will meet friends of mine, Vice General You Zheren and Strategist Hai Ling, with the hope that two new pairs will be borne out of the meeting. Are you fine with that?"

Jinghua smiles and answers, "General, as servants, our marriage matters are not in our hands. Young madam has the right to choose suitable candidates in regards to our marriages. If that is what she wants, we will try our best to make it happen."

"Good. Both of them are of the same His Highness and I. And, they are without any scandal nor concubines. If it works out, both of you will indeed be blessed. Hai Residence will be supporting both of you and this General do believe that Jia Residence will not turn it's back against you as well."

Dongmei and Jinghua smile and nod their heads in approval. General Hai Bojing then sighs before he continues to say, "This General knows well that both men can be quite stubborn and dislike the idea of being matchmade by others so, both of you have to try your very best to capture the attention of your chosen one."

He folds the piece of paper where he has just written on earlier and passed it to Dongmei before he further says, "Dongmei. Jinghua. On that piece of paper, this General had written important notes about those two. Read it well and remember what's what. Burn that piece of paper before both of you will arrive at the Western Region. Those two are very calculating, to say the least."

Dongmei and Jinghua curtsy before General Hai Bojing before saying in synchronization, "Noted, General."

"Both of you can leave now. Let me know once your mistress has woken up from her nap."

Both Dongmei and Jinghua retreated without saying a word and return back to where their mistress is. When they arrived in front of the sleeping chamber, Chuntao is sitting outside the sleeping chamber as she stares at the pond. When she heard footsteps coming towards her, she turns her head and smiles at the incoming figures.

"It seems that both of you are just fine. What did the General say?"

Jinghua smiles and sits next to Chuntao before she answers, "The General asked us if we are willing to go to the Western Region together with the Eldest Miss."

Chuntao smiles and further says, "Both of you have to go to protect the Eldest Miss. Caolan could not manage to prevent His Highness if he overstepped his boundary."

Dongmei chuckles as she sits next to Jinghua, "Chuntao, we are well aware of that. Do rest assured that our beloved Eldest Miss will not be deflowered before her wedding day."

"I know. Dongmei... As a Miao, you are an expert in beguiling the men. I am surprised that you are not using your 'knowledge' to your advantage."

Dongmei softly sighs and says, "Chuntao... How could you think that of me? I have been quite a good servant and my loyalty is only for the Jia..."