08|freedom

A good suit and tie could make miracles happen if the right person wore the clothes and today Tom hoped that he was the right man to carry this suit. He had reached the time for a evaluation of his short time at the company and he knew that getting evaluated either meant he had potential to move forward or not enough to stay with the company. It wasn't like he was worried about whether he was getting fired or keeping his job; he knew he was doing a fine job, but he wanted to make sure progress was in the reachable future. He had rehearsed everything from what to say to how to sit. Tom didn't want to be caught unprepared seeing as opportunity could be presented at any moment and he wanted to be there to cease it. His supervisor at the office Michael Dubois was decorated very minimalist and contemporary; a style common at any company who could afford it. The marble coffee table had several travel books on it and the granite desk held small statues from different country; making sure that everyone saw that Michael was a well traveled man. Tom was impressed despite knowing the office was design to impress anyone walking in there; and despite walking past and seeing it every day he never got quite used to its luxury. 

Michael was a French guy with an American mind, as many would say about him. He had the charms and the cultural arrogance of a Frenchman but also the ruthless bulldozer mentality that came from his American side. Whenever Michael spoke Tom listened carefully while hoping to pick up anything useful to further his own career. Now as he sat in front of Michael and waited for him to begin speaking he hoped that Michael would be impressed by him so far. 

"So let's have a look at you Tom Landry," Michael said with his French accent diminishing more and more each day, "statistically you are doing a very good job out there, Tom. You've reached all the goals we've set for you and are taking on new challenges faster than we can dish them out to you. I can tell that you're hungry for progression." Michael read through his files on the computer and occasionally gave him a nod of approval. 

"This job means everything to be, Mr Dubois, and if there is anything else I could do to improve my skills or if you know a position open that I can try out for--I'm very interested." Tom said calmly but with a hint of eagerness in his voice. 

Michael lent back in his office chair and stared at the screen and then back at Tom, suddenly begging to frown he moved forward and placed his elbows on the desk. His stomach turned over rapidly from the movements as he worried that Michael was about to serve him something that wasn't a compliment. 

"On paper you are of the best new employees, without a doubt. You constantly challenge yourself, improve and rarely make any mistakes at all--so I'd like to throw you another challenge," Michael said to him.

Curious to the max Tom's eyes lit up with excitement. He knew it was dangerous to assume he'd see a promotion in the next upcoming months but Michael had just confirmed how good he was at his job. He settled in his chair and anticipated his new task.

Michael chuckled and pinched the bridge of his nose, "You remind me of a young me; all business and no play at all--that's why I got to where I am now, but life isn't all about business Tom."

Tom frowned, "I'm not sure what you're implying, sir." 

"You can't be all business and no play, Tom. Do you see all these statues and the books on my coffee table? Those are things I've collected on my trips around the globe, those were not business trips at all. Sometimes you need a reminder that life isn't all about work." 

Tom stayed silent and tried to interpret what Michael had said to him. All work and no play would make Tom a successful salesman and frankly that was all he cared about right now, he couldn't see himself leaving the office early until he secured a higher position. This was the first time Tom felt uneasy about accepting a challenge from his supervisor and it was shown all over his face. He looked down and tried to think of an appropriate response or a way to convince Michael that he didn't need to be concerned about his personal life; because his work was what kept him going. He shifted in his seat and opened his mouth to speak,