HONORARY GRANDFATHER

Peter couldn't sleep.
That wasn't unusual. He had been having nightmares and struggling to banish thoughts from his head ever since the war that had taken Tony's life, and lately even more so because of all the illusion tech Mysterio had used against him. And now, after the video that made him out as a murderer and his identity reveal, plus these new recordings Pepper had shown him of Tony...
It was all just too much, and he found himself tossing and turning, unable to clear his head enough to even relax, let alone fall asleep.
He found himself rising and making his way down to the kitchen. It was late and everybody had gone to their respective rooms with Brad and Flash together, Betty and MJ Together, and Ned snoring in Peters room.
Down in the kitchen, Peter found himself drawn to the photo of himself and Tony. He had spent five years of nothingness while Mr Stark had been here building a family, building a life for them. And now he was fine and at least part of the reason was to give Peter his life back.
"I won't let you down, Mr Stark," he whispered. He meant it.
"Peter."
Peter whirled around, jumpier than usual. An elderly man stood in the doorway to the kitchen, leaving on a cane. Something about the shadow of his face, the way he held himself.
"Steve?" Peter asked in disbelief. Despite knowing what has happened, he hadn't seen Captain America since his drastic change. It seemed so odd that the man who had been near invincible, strong and powerful and influential, was now decades different in age and appearance.
"That's the one." Steve smiled early and motioned with his free hand for Peter to follow him, which he did so obligingly.
"If you don't mind me asking," Peter said cautiously. "What are you doing here?"
"I'm Morgan's honorary grandfather."
"Of course you are," Peter smiled, shaking his head. "How are all the others?"
"They're doing well," Steve informed him. "Everyone's adjusting well to life since the blip. In fact, I was with Clint the other day. His whole family was amazed by your successes last week. I must say, that was very well done."
"Thanks," Peter said distractedly, thinking back to the events that had taken place. "How's everyone doing since, you know, Tony and Natasha."
Pain flickered across Steve's face.
"I've lived an entire life since that," he said softly. "And it still hurts to think about. Clint isn't himself. None of the others that I've seen have seemed like themselves either, but I think Nat's death hit Clint particularly hard."
"I can see why," Peter said sadly. He hadn't had a lot to do with Natasha Romanov, but he knew how close her and Clint had been; how close Steve had been with her.
"On a lighter note," Steve said, leaning heavily on his cane as he lowered himself into a seat in the living room. "How do you plan to deal with the current situation?"
"I have no idea." Peter groaned, defeated, head in his hands as he collapsed onto the sofa. "What am I supposed to do, Cap?"
"I'm not Cap anymore, by the way," Steve said. "But listen, kid, you've been to space. You've gone up against Stark technology being used against you and won. You can get through anything."
"I died though. Remember?"
"Half the population did," Steve pointed out.
"Still," Peter said weakly. "There are times when I feel like I can do anything because I'm, you know, I'm Spiderman. And then other times when I just feel so weak like I should be able to do everything because I'm Spidermam but I can't."
"I know the feeling, kiddo," Steve said know an understanding tone. "It's a lot of pressure to be someone so exceptional. You've just got to learn that you can't do everything, no one can, and it's never your fault. If you try your hardest, do everything you can do, that's all anyone can ask for."
"I guess," Peter smiled gratefully, nodding.
"Another thing," Steve said slowly. "I spoke with Pepper, Happy and your aunt when I arrived. Pepper wanted you to stay here but Happy and your aunt agreed that you and your friends being here is putting this place and Morgan at risk, which is not fair on them." Peters face dropped. Why hadn't he thought of that?
"We have to leave!" he exclaimed, leaping to his feet.
"Relax, just let me explain," Steve said, gesturing for Peter to sit again. "We've arranged for another location for you and your friends to stay at, until we can get this situation sorted."
"Where?"
"It's better if I don't say it. Safer for less people to know."
"Of course." Peter sighed, tugging at his hair the way he had started to do when he was nervous. He found a huge yawn escape his mouth causing Steve to chuckle.
"You should head back up to your room and get some rest. You're leaving fairly early tomorrow."
Peter yawned again and lay down on the sofa. "I think I'll just stay here," he mumbled, his eyes already fighting to close. You'd think someone with Spidermans abilities would be able to do more against the power of sleep trying to take over, but within moments he was sound asleep.
"Sweet dreams, Spiderman," Steve whispered, watching the sleeping boy for a moment before leaving the room.
He didn't have the heart to enforce that Peter go up to his own room, even though all the rooms being taken up with all Peters friends meant that that sofa had been where Steve was intended to sleep.