17

"Magnus just left-" I walked with Alec through the Institute, crossing my arms, the ends of my sleeves folding due to my oversized sweater, "He made it clear that Magnus will be punished for using Raj as bait, while transporting you to his apartment- but the form of punishment is yet to be determined."

"All for trying to save my life." Alec stopped in the hall, causing me to stop also and look at him, "You know- I heard you."

I blink, looking up at him, "What?"

"I heard what you said-" The corner of Alec's mouth slightly turned up, "I heard it all."

I stare at him suspiciously, "Like what?"

"How if I died on you, you would personally bring me back to life and kill me yourself." Alec called me out, a smile playing at his lips, "That was the highlight of it."

It looked like someone had written guilty right across my forehead due to the expression that fell onto my face when I heard his words, "Well- in my defense, I was very upset."

Well, at least he hasn't mentioned that I told him that I needed him.

"I know." Alec's voice went low, as he reached over, putting a strand of my straight hair behind my ear, "I'm sorry I put you through that. I just- wanted to find you and Jace."

"I know- you were only trying to help." I softly smile at him, "How is Jace?"

"He won't be gone long." Alec assured me, "Once his hand touches the Soul-Sword, the truth will come out, and prove that he's never been on Valentine's side."

"Good-" I nod lightly, then grab his hands, "Are you okay?"

Alec squeezes my hands gently, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

I blink, "Alec- I mean, everything with you almost dying and all-"

"It seems like you're the one who can't get your mind off that." Alec's eyes scanned my face, then let's go of one of my hands, pulling me along, "You need to get your mind off that- come on, let's get out of here-"

"Wait-" I stay still, using our connected hands to pull him back towards me, "Right now?"

"Yeah-" The corner of Alec's mouth turned up, "You hungry?"

I stare at him for a second, then gave in, "Starving."

Interrupting, Raj stood a few feet away from us, "Hey, Alec, Zee- demon briefing in the Ops Center, all hands on deck."

"Raj-" I let go of Alec's hand and cross my arms, "Hey, I heard you got your ass handed to you and were used to fool Aldertree."

Raj stared at me, then rolls his eyes lightly, walking away, everyone else heading towards the briefing.

"Rain check-" I started to walk with Alec towards the Ops Center, "We have to do our job-"

Alec shot me a look, as I jerk to a stop when my mother came in front of me, "I've been looking all over for you- I need to speak with you."

"Can it- wait?" I questioned, looking between her and Alec, "We all have a briefing we need to go to-"

"I need to speak with you now-" She stared at me, "Please- I have something I need to tell you."

I exhale deeply, looking up at Alec.

He nods, kissing my head before walking away, "I'll fill you in, okay?"

I looked at my mother, concern flashing in my eyes, "What happened? Is everything okay?"

She sighs, grabbing my hands, "The Clave is reassigning me to Idris."