FIFTY-ONE

A number of weeks had passed since the formal after party, and while some things had quietened down, exams were looming and bringing a whole new kind of drama. I was somewhat thankful that exams were right around the corner; the other students were too busy focused on cramming everything they can, and even the most dedicated gossipers didn't have time to dwell on me and Nico, and the shit-storm that had trailed in our wake. Even Benny - energetic, happy-go-lucky Benny - was holed up in his dungeon of a home trying to absorb his textbook content on Stalin and the Cold War at ungodly hours in the night, his online screams of frustration only tapering off at around 3am.

The holidays had come quickly after everything unfurled, two blissful weeks without hearing the whispers of students at my back, or the curious stares from behind strategically positioned textbooks. Surrounding myself with my small but perfect group of friends, as well as my supportive, healing family, I felt lighter. Free. No Daniel or Alyssa to worry about (not that they had been at school, since word had finally gotten out to the teachers about the true extent of what they did), no gossip, no hatred.

Sofia and Parker had also been out of the picture; after the showdown in the halls, I had only seen glimpses of the pair every now and then, only when we spontaneously collided into each other in the halls between classes. I made it my mission to avoid them at all costs, and though they still gave me an atomic stink eye when they noticed me, after their reputations got shoved into the dirt last time they didn't move to stir up any further drama. 

And frankly, I didn't need any more drama, considering how exams were providing that by the bucketful.

Since the majority of my year had been spent stressing over Nico and my sexuality, I had neglected my studies somewhat. Never having grades that dropped below an A minus, I had a few string of Bs in some subjects, a thought that often made me wake up from a fitful sleep prematurely, anxiety seizing my chest. Unfortunately, once I had awoken, the pressure of the upcoming exams pulled at my conscious and rendered me unable to fall back asleep. Fortunately though, this allowed me to study longer, harder, and somewhat better.

Rubbing at my tired eyes, dark circles prominent, I pushed open the door to Ms Levenson's office. While Ms Levenson was my biology teacher, she was also the head of the Year 12 department, and thus made it her duty to meet with everyone to discuss their exam preparation and also offer career guidance. Now, the woman herself sat there behind her desk, eyes glancing up when she heard me enter. A pile of papers were in front of her - the results of my mock exams - and my stomach twisted nervously. 

Seeing me fiddling with the hem of my shirt with discomfort, Ms Levenson's steely face managed to soften a fraction, her voice gently telling me to take a seat. I did so stiffly, gulping when her fingers combed through some more papers, lips pursed together thoughtfully.

"Wesley," Ms Levenson said, a small sigh leaving her lips. Ugh, a sigh is not what I want to hear right now. 

"Y-Yes?" I stammered, swallowing thickly.

"You're a good student, one of the brightest - if not the brightest - in your year," Ms Levenson said, my head nodding slowly as she looked at me again, piercing eyes silently making sure that I was listening. "I've taught you personally, and I know that first hand. These grades here, they can give me an indication of how you're going, but there's always more to it than a few numbers of a sheet." Ms Levenson made a point of pushing the papers with my less than stellar grades to the side, leaning her elbows against her desk, looking at me intently before speaking again.

"My grades have dropped a bit, though..." I said meekly, Ms Levenson sighing again. I really don't want to hear sighs right now.

"Wesley, you have so much potential, and I know what you're capable of. Your other teachers do to," Ms Levenson said, giving me a long look, her face twitching as she seemed to try to find her words. "I know that you had a... hard time at the end of last term, and to be honest, things were handled shoddily by all parties involved," Ms Levenson said, eyes looking down apologetically.