Part 31

I was sitting on the other side of the courtroom in awe, Anthony wasn't scared at all. He was blatantly actin an ass, givin' the judge slick remarks when she asked him questions. He was going back to county jail once this over, you would think he'd be trying to prolong it. Judge Mervin and our lawyers agreed on a  trial date that was set for two months out. She denied Petersen's motion for bail, claiming Anthony was a flight risk. Petersen tried to point out that they had frozen all his assets so he couldn't skip town if he wanted to, but to my pleasure Judge Mervin still refused. I wasn't feeling the fact that I'd have to wait that long, yet it gave me some time tighten up my own loose ends. I just hoped Gray could roommate with me for that much longer, hell I'd even throw him a little bit on the rent if he wanted me to. I watched with amusement as Anthony was handcuffed and escorted back to the holding cell. It felt so amazing to see him chained up, he was now under the control of somebody else, and I didn't care how cocky he acted, I knew that shit was eating him alive. I took pleasure in that,although I knew I wouldn't get my full taste of satisfaction until them gates closed on him for years.

"Your Honor, Your Honor. One more request before you take away my client." Petersen called out and I could've sworn his cocky attitude had diminished. 

"What is it Mr. Petersen you already have me in the running for longest arraignment hearing ever." she responded exasperatedly 

"We'd like to separate the other cases from this one. Mr. Smith would like to fight them individually-"

"Well, Mr. Smith lost his choice when he was put in handcuffs. You can defend you client during trial, ask for deals then. Good day." Judge Mervin stepped down without another word.

"Call me tonight." Petersen called out to Anthony before he was pushed into the holding cell. I watched with amusement as Petersen grabbed all his belongings and stomped off. Evans and I rose at the same time. Gray was right there with a grin on his face 

"That didn't go how Petersen planned it." he chuckled and I smiled back 

"That's good for us." I replied

"Could be bad for us, he's pissed. He's gonna come hard during trial Lina so just be ready." Evans interjected seriously. His eyebrows were knitted together in concern

"That's what I have you for." I answered, we were walking out of the room together and I waited until we were out in the hallway to ask "Why didn't she bring up the traffic stop? Or the drugs?" I seen Gray and Evans exchange a quick look then Evans rapidly said "It's not the time yet."

"Yeah Lina, remember we want him to pay for all the shit he did to you too. In order to do that we have keep the cases isolated." Gray backed him up without skipping a beat. I nodded my head as if I understood, but I didn't. I would just have to wait and see what their plan was. 

"Listen, I have another client on the second floor. I will have my assistant reach out to the two of you." Evans excused himself and jogged to catch the closing doors on the elevator. 

"How you feeling?" Gray asked as we fell into step beside each other. I pushed the elevator button and waited for it to ding before I responded

"Hopeful. Looks like the ball is in my court." we entered into an empty elevator and Gray pressed the designated floor. He came to stand by me, I made sure to close the gap between us. When we got back to the first floor, Petersen was off to the side, although I couldn't hear what he was saying I could see he was speaking angrily into his cellphone. It was like he could sense me because his head snapped in my direction and he squinted his eyes into slits. I seen them dart to Gray and he smirked nastily. He knew who he was. Petersen watched us walk to the front doors before he mouth the word "Traitor" to me. This time it was me  who smirked. I shrugged my shoulders at him and stuck my middle finger up. He could kiss my ass. I didn't give a damn about his "evil eyes" him or "his client" no longer had control  over me and that's why they were mad! And just to add salt to injury I looped my arm through Gray's and pulled him close as we walked out the doors. Once we were outside and out of Petersen's view I let him go.