Ben Hardy - A Little Bit In Love

Oh you better believe we're mixing it up in here!

Ben had been a close friend since... well, ever. It wasn't a problem when he'd turned up on your doorstep with no where to go because his girlfriend kicked him out. He'd been living with you for almost a month now. It was no bother at all, he slept on the sofa, he was tidy and he'd even do the food shopping or cook sometimes.

"If your back hurts you can have the bed for a few nights, I don't mind."

"You've been kind enough to let me stay here, I'm not going to kick you out of your own bed." Ben told you, shaking his head lightly just to reinforce his denial.

"You're always welcome. Have you heard from her?" You ask, referring to his god-awful girlfriend.

Luckily you managed to keep things civil with her but it was crystal clear that the two of you would never interact if not for having Ben in your lives. And if it were up to her, Ben wouldn't be in your life at all. It was a noticeable difference, when they had gotten together. He spent less time with his friends, which is natural of course, but most communication with him was wavy at best after a few months of them dating.

"No, well not really. I think we're over properly this time."

There's a silence. You're almost praying. All of your mutual friends had the same wish and had practically jumped for joy when hearing about Ben's occupation of your couch. They also wanted their mate back.

"Maybe that's a good thing?"

"Yeah, I'm starting to think so," He shrugs after a second and you give him a reassuring nod. "I'll be out your hair soon, just need to make a down payment on a new place. And y'know, find a place I like."

"I mean it. You're always welcome, roomie"

"Yeah well, you can go back to being a cat lady soon, roomie. Unless you don't want me to go~" Ben joked, poking you, only to be swatted away.

Rude. You only had one cat and Denny was the nicest cat in the world. Ben loved him. Ben liked pretty much all animals, they were comfortable around him. You liked that about him more than you'd ever really noticed. It's always important to surround yourself with people who your pets like, as pets always know.

"You love my cat."

"It's a good job I do, he sleeps on my bed every night!" Ben pointed to the spot where your ginger tabby slept almost every night.

"It was the sofa before it was your bed."

He agrees silently and the two of you go back to watching TV. Ben keeps glancing over at you and even though you're aware of the fact you pretend not to be. After a few more glances and opening his mouth only to close it after a second, he sits up in his seat.

You turn to look at him, getting a proper look at his face. He looks slightly concerned.

"Listen, there was something I've been meaning to talk to you about. I kind of feel like I'm going mental but I just can't stop thinking about it. You remember back in our final year? At Christmas? Do you... do you remember when we were sitting in the hallway on the floor and I told you that... You remember, I don't need to say it again. Look, I'm just wondering if we would have- This is probably gonna backfire so badly but-"

Before Ben can finish, there's some loud banging on your door which startles you into moving. You find the keys and struggle to unlock door in the dark. You pull the door open to see Ruby. Ben's girlfriend. Or ex-girlfriend.

Out of the corner of your eye you see Ben duck into the kitchen to hide. You take that as a hint.

"Oh hi, Ruby, everything okay?"