01︱truth or dare

SATURDAY, AUGUST 10

12:34am

STAYING under the same roof had always been a challenge. Living in a single house with my twin brother and six friends was no easy feat.

It was a typical night with my closest companions, and as was our tradition, we gathered around on the carpet for a lively game of Truth or Dare. Clyde, Brianna, Eddie, Ashley, Shawn, Phoebe, Andrew, and I had formed an inseparable bond over the past three years, except for Eddie, who I had known all my life...literally.

The bottle spun, and fate decided it would be facing my brother, Eddie, while the lower part pointed at me.

"Truth or dare?" he asked.

"Dare."

"This is going to be interesting," he thought for a moment. "I dare you to steal a phone from the first person you see on the streets and save any of the contacts."

"I-"

"That's not all. After that, we all get to send a text to the person."

My eyes widened. "You're ridiculous. Can I have another dare?"

"Sure. I dare you to do the dare."

"It's midnight. Who would be roaming the streets? There could be a serial killer waiting for a redhead to kill. Ashley, tell your boyfriend that this is a bad idea."

She smirked, standing up. "Vida and I will be back real quick. I'm going to follow her to get a disguise, and you guys better get your phones ready to record."

"Why do we all have to take a video?" Shawn whined."Because we all remember what happened last time," she glared at Andrew, pulling me to her room.

There was this time we pulled an epic prank on our school's prankster, and we had told Andrew to record everything. We had our moment of victory until someone broke the news that they hadn't hit the record button. Ah, the good old days.

Our shared house was spacious but still a bungalow. Having just graduated from high school, we were eager to get a place of our own. To our parents, it was about "learning to be independent," but to us, it was an escape from them.

Upon entering her room, she had already picked out the perfect disguise for me."Of all the masks in the world, you chose Spiderman! Spiderman!!" I exclaimed, examining the old material. It looked like it hadn't been used in months.

"Stop whining. Spidey is cool."

"Pfft, right. Using a superhero's mask to commit a crime is totally cool," I replied, putting on the mask. Looking at myself in the mirror, I felt disgusted. I was dressed in a black nightgown and a Spiderman mask.

"Can I get something like Thanos or something?" I asked, tugging at the sticky fabric on my face.

"Thanos doesn't wear a mask, genius," she replied, dragging me out of the room to where the others were laughing at me.

"Do I really have to steal in my nightgown?"

"Well...it's black," Bri reasoned, causing me to glare at her.

I put on my black slippers and stepped out onto the streets. Was I really doing this? I looked around. Nobody was there, so I had to go a little further. My friends trailed behind, but they were all scattered, acting as if they didn't know each other. I wondered who I should steal from. Then an old woman passed by, phone in hand.

Perfect.

I looked back to see three of my seven friends pointing at the woman. I mentally cringed at the thought of stealing from an old woman.