02︱kace's side

SATURDAY, AUGUST 10
(KACE's point of view)

12:56am

SEATED on my bed with nothing to occupy my time, I found myself in a state of idle restlessness. My phone was charging, rendering it useless for gaming, so I resorted to my trusty PlayStation. However, before I could fully immerse myself in the game, the door swung open, revealing my fifteen-year-old sister, Riele.

"Kace, grandma is downstairs. She came over for the weekend. She's leaving on Monday morning," she informed me, her voice tinged with a hint of sarcasm.

"Grandma?" I raised an eyebrow, questioning the unexpected visit.

"Nope. The girlfriend you're never going to have," she retorted, a sarcastic smirk dancing across her face. I rolled my eyes, pausing the game.

"You're way too funny for your own good," I replied, playfully exasperated by her teasing. Riele scoffed and departed, presumably retreating to the confines of her own room. With a stretch and an adjustment of my sweatpants, I decided to make my way downstairs.

As I descended the staircase, I found Granny Nella, or as I lovingly referred to her, Granella or Granola, comfortably seated on the couch, her eyes taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. It was understandable since we had only moved into this new house a week ago, focusing our efforts on settling in the upper part of the house.

"Granola!" I exclaimed, unable to contain my excitement upon seeing her. I rushed over and enveloped her in a warm embrace. She truly was the coolest grandma in the world.

"Hello Katie," she greeted me, ruffling my hair. The nickname 'Katie' had stuck with me due to my initials, K.T., which Granella had playfully interpreted as Katie. It had become her endearing term for me ever since. I fake glared at her, amusement evident in my eyes.

"I'm Kace."

"And I'm your Grandma. Your point is?" Granella retorted, her crooked smirk suggesting she was fully aware of the playful banter.

Sticking my tongue out at her, I couldn't help but draw comparisons between her and Riele. "You're just like Riele," I playfully teased.

"I've been told," she replied, acknowledging the shared resemblance. Her signature smirk remained intact as she continued,

"So...where's my daughter?"

"You mean my mum," I corrected, taking a seat beside her on the couch."My daughter."

"My mum."

"Katie! You do not talk back to your elders. Especially cool ones," Granella scolded me, albeit lightheartedly.

"I'm not Katie," I reiterated, a touch of exasperation creeping into my voice as I corrected her for what felt like the gazillionth time.

"And purple is a fruit, since we're all lying here," she retorted, delivering a swift smack to the back of my head.

"Not cool, grandma," I playfully complained, rubbing the spot where she had playfully struck me. I quickly regained my composure.

"Anyway, Mum went out with Dad this evening. They'll be back tomorrow," I informed her. Pausing for a moment, I added, "You should have informed us before coming."

"Informing you would have been lame, and I don't like lame. It's, well...lame," Granella replied, her tone laced with amusement.

Suddenly, her expression turned serious, and she spoke with a sense of urgency. "Something happened."