𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟺: 𝙳𝚘𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚛 𝚆𝚑𝚘

The clicking of shoes echoed down the hallway outside of One's room

The clicking of shoes echoed down the hallway outside of One's room. She listened to them eagerly with her ear pressed to her door and willed them to stop when they reached her. Click, click, click. Silence.

One could feel her heart beat in her throat as she anxiously awaited the next noise. Ever since she had failed to reopen another time-transcending portal, Papa had started visiting less. They made her try a few more times after that but eventually Papa had given up.

The last time she saw him was two months ago when they used her to plant a spy at a Russian government facility. He had stood behind the glass divider the entire time and didn't speak a word to her. Pangs of pain reverberated in her heart with each beat as she recalled the memory.

Click, click, click.

One's ears perked when they picked up the new sound. The shoes had started walking again but now they were moving farther away from her. Papa wasn't coming for her.

One fell against the door and let out a defeated cry. Her cheeks drowned in wet sobs as a waterfall of tears cascaded from her face to the floor. She had never felt so alone. Papa was the only family she knew and he had abandoned her.

No, she couldn't think like that. Papa still loved her and cared about her, he was probably just busy. She had heard more children lately, that must be why he wasn't visiting. She would prove that he was still her Papa!

One turned to face the door and stared at a scuff by the door knob. She tuned all her concentration in on Papa as she pictured his face. Her fists subconsciously clenched as she strained to open a portal to him, but at last she did it.

"Papa!" One cried excitedly at the sight of him. He wore a look of surprise at the sound of her voice.

"Leave me be, One!" he growled, looking away from the portal to turn his focus back to something out of frame.

"Papa?" One asked in hurt confusion. Didn't he love her? Why was his voice so rough?

"Who is that, Papa?" another voice asked with a foreign accent. It sounded like a young boy, maybe about her age. It must have been one of the other children.